Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS oxygen sensor probs, maybe?

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
i have a vs series2 on gas, and now done 190,000.
problem is the transmisson isnt allways going into final drive, what i have noticed is that in colder air say at night and early morning it goes in, but on gas engine light comes on. in wamer wether no engine light but wont go into final drives, but it has here and there but then just pops back into 4th.
took it to transmisson place and said its fine, though one oxygen senser was reading lean the other high so im guessing the one on the throttle is reading lean so pushing more fuel in so the other is then reading high, so it puts the gear higher to burnt excess fuel? what do you think?

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
Tradewind said:
Prolly a transmission needing a service methinks

thats what i thought but took it to trans guy and he said its all running fine, though it is due now for one, will see how it is after the service, hopefully it is that. but i dont see why hot and cold wether should have an effect on it

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
let me know how it goes cause mine is doing this except its not on gas

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I've got a VR on dual fuel, and I'm having a (sort of) similar problem, my car runs rough as guts off idle when cold, on both petrol and gas.

What's important for your problem though is that I have been getting an O2 sensor error code, (although mine is rich) when the car is on gas. I had the mechanic look at it to check that it wasn't the sensor, and he found that the sensor itself was fine. He also said that when running on gas, the exhaust composition is different so the O2 sensor often won't operate as it normally would, and you'll end up getting the error code.
From the sounds of it, your O2 sensor may well be fine.

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
ahhh try disconnecting both o2 sensors, Remove battery terminal to reset car computer..and try. If car behaves, then replace them.Found that simply pulling engine fuse in a vs doesnt reset the computer propery..but removing the batt terminal does. My o2 sensors gave me grief for eons...replaced o2 sensors no difference, removed eng fuse to reset ..no difference...removed batt term..and voila.

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
i am going to changer my 02 sensors, its about time they were changed anyways, and then will look at other sensors, as everything else on the car is fine. dont really wana give it to holden yet as they make u book it in and then charge u heaps

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
srey said:
I've got a VR on dual fuel, and I'm having a (sort of) similar problem, my car runs rough as guts off idle when cold, on both petrol and gas.

What's important for your problem though is that I have been getting an O2 sensor error code, (although mine is rich) when the car is on gas. I had the mechanic look at it to check that it wasn't the sensor, and he found that the sensor itself was fine. He also said that when running on gas, the exhaust composition is different so the O2 sensor often won't operate as it normally would, and you'll end up getting the error code.
From the sounds of it, your O2 sensor may well be fine.

check the purge pipe under your throttle body, its just a little black rubber hose, mine came off didnt know what it was, made my car really rough, and fixed it all, so easy. backfires can pop them off.

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Checked the purge pipe, not it.
The only problem that I definately konw of is that the mass air temp sensor is playing up. In fact, when I took it in for the first service after I got the car the mechanic noted that there was no plug on the sensor, and that the plug had actually been cut off.
I got a new plug wired back into the look, but now even with the sensor hooked back up I'm still getting the fault code from the computer (yeah, I did resest it and clear the logged codes, this is a fresh one).

So the next job is to replace the sensor itself, and see if that actually has anything to do with the rough idle/stalling. If not, then at least it's eliminated from the equation.

If anyone has any other ideas though, I'm more than happy to hear them!