Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts about painting

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well my vr has needed painting since ive bought her, around august last year me and a mate primered it and i havent had the money to actually paint it since.

now the primer is fading away. my question is, how much do you rekon itll cost for me and a mate to paint me car, it only need roof/bonnet/boot but we need to sand it back and primer it agian,

average cost with paint primer, sandpaper etc..

i got a quote today for 2grand at a shop :( i cant afford that..

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
2 grand will give you a **** paint job that you will be forever unhappy with either save up alot or do it yourself

the paint and paper etc (depending on what paint but ill guess your just doing acrilic) will cost you a couple hundred all up

if you do it yourself you will probably redo bits hear and there so allow double the paint cost to get it how youd like it.

my mate and i painted his vn it wasnt that hard but it was all how good the prep work was... he went a bit dodgey on one section and now he isnt happy with it but where it was prepped right it came out good and we only used a pissy little 2.5hp compressor to spray it with

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
For just paint i got quoted over $400 for a 4 Litre tin in 2pack, any colour. Mixed with thinners that should cover the whole car
Then the gun, about $160 for a decent one
Just dont go to a place like supercheap, repco or autobarn to get any of this, go to a paint place.
Then you need compresser, primer, paper and thinners. With 2pack, the paint will need to be baked, and dont ask me how much it would cost to do that, coz i wouldnt have a clue.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
fitzy u can do it urself... just make sure the prep is A1 or its gonna stand out....

suggestion: ur gonna notice the difference between the old paint and the newly painted parts due to fading etc.... ur best bet..... prepare the whole car wrap it up in tape n newspaper and spray the whole thing.....

ohh also go acrylic its much easier to work with and as killuminati said 2pac will require baking......

my 2cents.... :w00t:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
acrylic, can i get the same original colour as wot i got, a silverish colour?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
like this?

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 135

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yep sure can... get the paint number under the bonnet... walk into a local automotive paint store and get some mixed up in acrylic.... get some superglow thinners for it and some clear acrylic and you should be aight to go.........

and one thing as mentioned before dont make the mistake (like i did) and buy a cheap gun from like bunnings or supercheap...... fork out some $$ and get a quality gun from the place u buy the paint at....

good luck wit it......

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
has anyone done it how long did it take to sand their car back and how well do you sand it?