Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Places to service Calais¿

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hello ppl, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good Holden service center in the Northern suburbs where I can get my car serviced, I've been told that Watson Holden do dodgy jobs and are overpriced, they wanted to charge $560 for a major Engine and Auto service compared to De Silva where they wanted to charge $460, De Silva's prices for parts are a lot cheaper for e.g. Stalk RS$85 W$150 Passanger air bag cover RS$160 W$200, also I was just told that mate took her car to De Silva and they needed a new radiator, they actually put in a 2nd hand one but charged them for a new one, obviously for some parts you can mark them with something but oil and power steering flush you can't.

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
I wouldnt go to holden to get my car serviced and never have they are a rip off and there are mechanics out there twice as good at what they do compared to those bozos likely a first year apprentice will be doing it.

Dont get me wrong love holdens dont trust the dealers

Ask around find a good mechanic and try build a relationship with you cause down the track they will really look after you

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Yeah I did have a mechanic for a couple of years but now his shutting shop. I just thought because I just bought the car, it will look good that I serviced the car at Holden then after that I'll find another mechanic.

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
VLishes said:
Yeah I did have a mechanic for a couple of years but now his shutting shop. I just thought because I just bought the car, it will look good that I serviced the car at Holden then after that I'll find another mechanic.

Thats fair enough maybe if you do get it serviced through holden post it up and let us know how they were how costly and whether you reckon it made a difference

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
With modern day EFI cars the minor servicing you can do yourself....

oil...plugs...filters...even the trans service....it's not that hard if you have some mechanical ability.

Save yourself heaps in labour charges...

letse...

$560

-$35-60 Engine Oil + filter (high price Mobil 1)
-$25 Spark plugs
-$20-110 Air filter (just guessing) should buy a K&N anyhow for $110
-$20 Trans service kit (ebay price)
-$30 Trans Fluid (just guessing I havent bought any for awhile)

worst case $245 but lets round that to $250

and you can bet a Holden Dealer wont give you a K&N air filter...or Mobil 1 oil

So where does $310 worth of labour go ? Any mechanic sould be able to do that in under 1.5 hrs

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i would absolutely agree with sixshooter...just DIY
it is so much cheaper and YOU KNOW what parts have been used, not just something they might have had lying around the workshop.
holdens are soooo easy to service yourself and its good to get yourself aquanted with basic mechanical stuff.
give it a go, and if you dont really know what your doin buy one of those service manual things...they're like $50

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Yeah I know it's easy to service a car, the problem is you need the right tools and time plus noone gets to stamp the book....anyways I thought usually they do diagnostics etc

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
VLishes said:
Yeah I know it's easy to service a car, the problem is you need the right tools and time plus noone gets to stamp the book....anyways I thought usually they do diagnostics etc
They don't do diagnostics.. Tuning isn't an issue nowadays..

When I joined this forum, I didn't know they changed oil at services, I just dropped my car off and picked it up.. Simple as that..

There's enough advice for you on this forum to do everything to your car.. I take my car into Ultratune once a year for a FULL safety check.. I have given it to Holden, but they're the worst..

Ultratune, I've found actually care..

Do the oil changes, filters, plugs and all that easy stuff.. Let the mechanic look at your car once (or twice) a year and you'll be cruisin..

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I know, don't get the impression that I am a noob >>;] but it helps to have a service history in the book, and by doing it yourself, you have no way of proving squat. I will probably most likely cancel my appointment at Holden on Fridaya anyways.