Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud knocking in VR Manual. HELP!

Mr_mystikal

Mr_Mystikal
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Hi guys,
There is a loud knock coming from around the back of the motor or flywheel somewhere i think (Its louder under the drivers door than in the engine bay anyway). She still drives no worries, I took the risk to drive it home after the noise started and the motor, gearbox, clutch and everthing was fine no lights on dash nothing. The mechanic reckons it is the clutch but it has a heavy duty one already and he quoted me 300 for the part and 500 for labour. F@#! that I thought. Also its only done about 174,000 odd k's and hasnt copped a floggin at all really, I got my Vn for that lol.
Any help would be truly appreciated, Cheers.
Shan

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
whats the background did you just buy it or did you convert it to manual

if its been converted or you just braught it id suspect the flywheel bolts have come loose (som1 forgot loctite) it is a common thing to happen to conversions.

apart from that clutches dont tend to go clunck.... its hard to tell really without hearing it..

maybe some nice jc member up in qld might be able to pop in and have a listen for you.. failing that you really need som1 you can trust to diagnose it most mechanics will missdiagnose noises on purpose so when they get half way through the job they ring you and say oh this is stuffed it will be another $2000 lol... i shouldnt really laugh cause it happens way to often.

a clutch however will cost you $300 at least but you can put it in yourself. buy a performance clutch if you have to get it done as they are only $325 and a generic is $280

Mr_mystikal

Mr_Mystikal
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Thanks HDT_aero much appreciated. It is a standard VR Manual and I'm only the second owner, I bought it off and older couple.