Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bottom Radiator Hose

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey
while driving i realised that it was running pretty hot and i asked my dad about it being that it was his car before mine and he said yeah that car has done that for quite some time so i flushed the radiator and it ran not as hot but still hot then i realised when u rev the engine the bottom radiator hose kind of constricts in the middle and shrinks in on itself.
Its prob just from wear and tear so i think i have to replace the bottom hose
and yeh if anyone knows that this may not be the problem can u tell me and also how much would a bottom radiator hose cost?

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
yea have had that problem before, never really worried me though. Just replace the hose and see how it goes, they're not too expensive (not sure on exact price tho)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I'm not sure if the VS had this but I've seen some radiator hoses with springs inside them to stop them doing what you described...

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
The springs rust out and then the hoses collapses...I replaced a VR one recently...cost around $25 from memory. Suggest you shop around on price.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
the problem could also be air in the system causing the pipe to suck in.
Purge any air from the systemby taking off the radiator cap and opening the bleed valve then run the car to operating temp and slowly trickle feed the radiator until its full then wait until water flows out of the bleed valve.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
nah we did everything with the bleed valve and filling it wen we changed the radiator fluid so i think it must be the radiator hose
thanks all!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd also check whether your car has a thermostat - come crazy people remove them in the mistaken belief they will improve cooling. What removal does is allow the water to circulate rapidly and unregulated thru the engine...the extra flow sucks the water so fast from the radiator that the bottom hose will collapse in ward. Makers usually fit a spring to stop this.