Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing hoodlining

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I've searched on this topic and found some info, but nothing on quite what I was after.

I've got a VR wagon, and I need to remove the hoodlining, but wait, it's not because it's sagging!
I actually need to remove the lining so that I can get to the roof itself, to fix one of the spars that has broken loose from the roof skin (roof rattles).

What I really want to know though, is what is actually involved in removing the interior mouldings on the pillars. From what I can see they have to come off, along with the wind-lacing, before I can get the hood lining itself out. Do they just pop off, or are there some hidden retainers in there somewhere that I have to get at first.

The service manual is totally useless in this regard, so any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Shayne.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I would like to know the same in regard to the trim around the rear window on a sedan.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Great thanks for that... I tried to rep you but the board wont let me !

Do you know if the rear mouldings are as bad as the front for breaking clips ?

I might need them off if a new rear windscreen goes in.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
You just undo the grab handles ,interior light,rear view mirror,and carefully take out the middle top section of the rear plastic trim by pulling squarely on it and releasing the 6 or so clips moulded into the clip that locate in holes in the roof sheet metal .On a sedan pull from the top down just enough to loosen the corner rear pillar trim to just take the pressure off the head lining without totally releasing the whole clip.On a wagon you have to take out the rear light and then the trim behind it.Then you need to slip a flat tool to push rear window trim by using a flat tool like a steel ruler with a fork cut it it that is with a slot 9mm tapering down to 6 mm in the end push on each side of the clips moulded into it and take it off . The top section of the roof lining is held on now by the velcro so it just pulls away if it hasnt already fallen down already.Then undo the front seat belt mount and take the trim out around it and then pull down the 4 door seals from the top where they contact the lining.Then with a second operator while releasing the pressure on the front pillar trim just enough but not enough pressure to actually release any clips(as they will break every time) move the lining rearwards to clear the front pillar trim and than forwards to clear the rear pillar trim and then with front seats wound right back move the trim around to take it out through the front driver side opening...you may have to put pressure on the edges to get the trim a bit smaller for it to get through the opening.Just be careful not to jag the front right corner on the console when you are taking it out....too easy ...thats for a sedan...for a wagon it comes out the rear of course .Install is all that in reverse.

Attachments

• roof lining.jpg
    roof lining.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,338
  • roof lining2.jpg
    roof lining2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 989
Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
sixshooter said:
Great thanks for that... I tried to rep you but the board wont let me !

Do you know if the rear mouldings are as bad as the front for breaking clips ?

I might need them off if a new rear windscreen goes in.

Make sure that the blokes that take out the rear windscreen dont scratch the openning and then leave it so it rusts later...seen plenty of them rusted because of this.They make a hole in the seal with a knife through the seal and then put angel wire or the like and work it back and forwards to cut all the way around the openning...trouble is they scratch the paint all the way to the metal doing it and the black trim hides it and you cant see it.They put the window back in and glue it in and in time it rusts....they are meant to keep the wire against the glass on both sides but some operators are dodgy.
To get the rear trim right off you really have to take out the back seat and parcel tray.The clips holding the pillar trim pull off easy...much easier than the front a pillar ones...just pull on them and they release without breaking.

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah thanks again Mark !

I'll be taking it to a place that guarantee's their work... I peeled out the back rubber now and washed all the fine dust that had accumulated in the channel... I reccommend anyone reading this do the same as this fine **** once wet acts like an abrasive sponge between the rubber and paint and once the paint wears the window channel starts to rust... I've found one superficial spot right at the bottom left corner of the window just in the nick of time... I think I'll be stripping out the front channel rubber aswell now.