Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Acclaim OBD protocol

SWK

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve lumina
My VS Acclaim series 2 1995 model is showing airbag light on after I repaired the odo. I forgot to connect the speed alert when assembling. My question is, what OBD protocol/bluetooth device do I need to reset this light. The Connector is OBD2 compatible but it is not OBD2 data. Any idea? Thanks.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
VS is OBD1.....only way I know of to reset airbag warning is to go to holdens or find someone with access to a tech1
If it was a VT and above you could use this SRS Diagnostic Tool - Envyous Customs

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It's Holden's ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link)
Neither ODB1 or ODB2

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
It's Holden's ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link)
Neither ODB1 or ODB2
True :beer chug:
But everyones "wikipedia" reading leads them to believe its called OBD1. I find it easier to explain it as OBD1 and OBD2. Makes mroe sense rather then flicking between mutlipl terms.

Aldl can be used on both odb1 and odb2...maybe I miss read the op........here is a good explanation
ALDL Cable VS OBD2 Cable - Holden Diagnostic Tools - Envyous Customs
Anyway an aldl cable wont help on a pre VT system for srs reset needs a tech1

If I could ever find a Tech1 with a Holden cartridge.. I will add in the VS!. Pity they dont seem to exist. Only a handful of people seem to have a working unit.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You need a tech one to do it. Take it to an auto elec. Holden changed to OBD2 in 96 so that the pinout/setup would be pretty much universal.

Pre 96 was set up specifically for holden, so you need a special tool as they're uniquely configured (I.e. You can't just buy an ebay scan tool and connect it).

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If I could ever find a Tech1 with a Holden cartridge.. I will add in the VS!. Pity they dont seem to exist. Only a handful of people seem to have a working unit.
Hi Tazzi just started using you AED software, nice bit of kit but doesn't like my lowly netbook and I have nfi what it all means :D
Anyway keep an eye on ebay the tech1's come up now and again mainly in the states..The price's are crazy but then again Im cheap,then you still need to source a cartridge. Surly it cant be that hard to reverse engineer the srs codes/reset.... Then again what do I care lol..none of that stuttering brakes and explosive devices for me :D

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I wonder if it's the same protocol for the VR/VS SRS system as the states GM of that era, they called it DERM (Diagnostic and Energy Reserve Module) if that's any help.
If you have any friends working at a tafe they generally have a tech1 hidden away somewhere you may be able to borrow.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I wonder if it's the same protocol for the VR/VS SRS system as the states GM of that era, they called it DERM (Diagnostic and Energy Reserve Module) if that's any help.

Apparently not, I assumed it would've been until I found otherwise. That's when I threw in the towel and took it to an auto elec :p

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi Tazzi just started using you AED software, nice bit of kit but doesn't like my lowly netbook and I have nfi what it all means :D
Anyway keep an eye on ebay the tech1's come up now and again mainly in the states..The price's are crazy but then again Im cheap,then you still need to source a cartridge. Surly it cant be that hard to reverse engineer the srs codes/reset.... Then again what do I care lol..none of that stuttering brakes and explosive devices for me :D
Good to hear you like the kit!
Unfortunately its a bit difficult without actually owning a VS commodore. Only so much I can do with just the VS SDM. Without the tech1 with a Holden cartridge, I will have to actually buy a VS commodore.. then begin pulling each SRS component to determine what the system "logs" when that specific fault occurs. Will also need to short each circuit ect to find every possible fault!. Doing this also means I run the (High!) risk of getting smashed by an airbag :bomb:

If you have any friends working at a tafe they generally have a tech1 hidden away somewhere you may be able to borrow.
Yeah Iv asked around everywhere. Unfortunately I have no-one here in WA thats willing to lend the tech1, or simply noone has one.

Someone over in victoria (think it was there) offered a while ago but.. means Ill need to fly over there, buy a VS and VR commodore then reverse engineer their systems with the tech1 over a week or two. Good way to shed a few grand not including accommodation!
Due to the rarity and cost of the tech1.. everyones pretty cautious to who uses it!.