Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best exhaust for a VS ecotec 3.8L

Finnsk3

Reaction score
Whats the best exhaust for a VS. In detail like are extractors worth buying and what are the best brands and would it be worth running twins so the 2 exhausts dont join at all and what mufler setup gives the best noise and whats the best size piping, pressed bent or mandrel bent.

I am considering buying a VS and exhaust is the first thing I am doing to it.

Wingnut0021

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore, 1997 VS Statesman II V8
My mate got Pacemakers, 2.5" generic catback and Stateman tip, without resinator on his VS V6. Absolutely fantasic, just wish hes let me drive it.....

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Finnsk3 said:
Whats the best exhaust for a VS. In detail like are extractors worth buying and what are the best brands and would it be worth running twins so the 2 exhausts dont join at all and what mufler setup gives the best noise and whats the best size piping, pressed bent or mandrel bent.

I am considering buying a VS and exhaust is the first thing I am doing to it.

Hey mate extractors are a must if you are looking for performance and pacemakers are the best by far and are proven, with the twin pipes it will create less restriction obviously giving better flow, i would also use high flow cats and say 2.25" pipes there after(Mandrel Bent) dont go to big for the hell of it cause it will sound sh*t too airy but if anyone else has twin pipes with bigger radious then hopefuly they post it up for you on their opinion
By the way you gettin a 6 or an 8

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
HM headers, factory cat, lukey centre expansion muffler, lukey centre expansion resonator. (both 50/50 offset)
best sound, best performance
don't bother with lukey straight through, they sound great when ya foot's on the firewall, but drone like shite when ya cruisin
but really it comes down to what sound you like and how deep ya pockets are

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
slick_red_VN said:
By the way you gettin a 6 or an 8

The thread title says for a 3.8L ecotec

Z

Z()LTAN

okay well ive done this on mine and its fairly growlish! 2.5 catback, u need atleast 1 mufler so just ask the guys at ur local exhaust specialast for the smallest middle mufler, use no resonator, and 1 3/4 pacemaker extractors, i have big chrome tip that helps to make lower growl i was told, not sure if it does anything but looks good :)

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 727

Blown88u

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VR 5lt Ute
I would go for a set of genie or pacemaker extractors it doesn't really matter which ones they both do the job. they come mandrel bent and usually include everything that you need down to the cat. If your making the effort to get extractors you may as well get a high flow cat to complement them. A mandrel bent 2.5" cat back exhaust without the rear muffler would match up nicely. If you have IRS you may have to get an under axle pipe without the rear muffler made up for you. Otherwise everything comes pre bent ready to go and if you want to save a bit of money its not too hard to do it your self. The hardest part I would say is the extractors. As for the Chrome tip I like the oval shaped ones with the rolled Lip, I think it sounds better but a 3" round tip looks mad. "You will love it" guaranteed...

Z

Z()LTAN

dont worry about hiflow cats for a vs... they came standard with oversized cats as it is, anyway its prolly gutted as it is... yeah oval tips are the bomb

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
I put 2.5 with pacemakers and twin 2.5 inch tips looks good
will post a pic soon