Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spring snapped?!?!?

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
Hey guys

driving home the other day, just turning a bend, and all of a sudden i hear a big bang and feels like the left side tire burst or something, so i pulled over gave the quick look over all semmed fine.

jumped back in the car drove felt a lil weird but nothing severe. then yesterday i was at the servo thought id check tyre pressure i get to the fron left as im toppin the air up i notive it looks terribly low!!! compaired to the other side.

took it home jacked it up and to my suprise the spring has SNAPPED! never seen that before

now i got a quote this morning to get both front coils replaced and to reset my rears a lil lower for $350 drive in drive out

wat do you guys think of the quote??

also has anything like this happened to you guys? (im thinking the springs were chopped by previous owner)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well to replace all 4 springs to lows on my vr cost me around that in parts

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Never heard of it snapping, but if they've been cut there is going ot be extra stress on them so anything can happen.

$350 sounds good if it includes the parts, I've been quoted $325 to fit lower springs and shocks and align.. (that's just labour).

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
that includes parts and labour all up

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
fitzy2005 said:
well to replace all 4 springs to lows on my vr cost me around that in parts

the place i took it to make up the coils there, so i can get em to make it any height i want, and the price im quoting is parts and labour

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
nice :) yes well worth it then. did a young guy own your car before you? (cut springs)

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
dont know got it off a car yard, but got NRMA inspetion before i got it i think they should have picked it up

but then again the engine and gearbox mounts were stuffed and they didn pick that up

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea mine was from a wrecker, and it had saftey cert and was registered wwhen i bought mine, it had cut springs, not cat converter and screwed gearbox mount and it passed a safety cert, i wasnt happy :( that cost a fair bit outa my pocket when it should of not passed in the first place..

new cat + fitted 350
new springs + bearings/plates +link pins and some other suspension work 800 bux

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
just because a car has a safety cert and is registered doesnt mea its safe at all!!

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
ye but i got NRMA to re-enburst me for the costs for mine, as they didn pick it up on the initial inspection