Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

smoke from steering column

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 BT1,VR 5.0l statesman
hi, over the last week or so when i leave my VR statesman parked in the sun and i get back in the blinkers have been sticking on for a couple of minutes but once the inside of the car starts to cool down they stop sticking on but today i jumped into the car and they stuck on and all of a sudden smoke started to come from around my steering column it looked like it was coming from the combination switch????? and now i've got no blinkers?? i haven't checked to see if the cruise control is still working yet?? has anybody else had any problems like this?? or does anybody have any suggestions on how i should check to make sure that's what it is before i go out and replace it???

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Must be getting bloody hot inside your car mate.... I actually had a pespi can explode inside a car once cause it was inside a hot car...it blew the lid clean off...not a nice mess to clean afterwards.... but anyhow...I'd say your switch was shorting out and is now cactus by the sounds of all the smoke... are all your fuses of the correct resistance ? I'd check that first then go to a wrecker who will let you swap over parts in the carpark to see it it's your switch thats knackered.

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
as far as i know all the fuses are of the right resistance (but i haven't checked) i've only had the statey for about 3 months and the people i bought it off hadn't looked after it the best so it could be on the cards,when it cools down a bit outside i'll go out and have a look. i disconnected the battery in it when i got it home just incase anything else had a go at shorting out!! :cry:

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
i checked all they fuses and they are the right resistance!!! everything else on the switch is working (cruise control,highbeam) could something else have shorted out or will just be the combination switch??? also is it hard to change the combination switch????? :unsure:

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
this is common my 2 vs did this but lucky it just blew the fuse under the dash

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Here's the removal proceedure.

1. disconect negative battery terminal
2. remove the airbag fuse from the fuses under the dash (fuse # 18)
3. separate the yellow connector at the base of the steering column
4. release steering column adjuster, pull wheel out and lock position at lowest level
5. remove steering column lower cover screws, disconnect light, remove cover
6. disconnect the wiper dwell wiring connector
7. peal back the rubber cover of the indicator switch from the top cover
8. depress the lock tangs holding in the switch and remove the switch from the top cover
9. disconnect the wiring connector and remove the switch.

install is reversal of above proceedure.

hope that helps.

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks heaps sixshooter!! i picked up a combination switch for it for $20 so i'm pretty happy with that and by the sounds of it i won't have too many drama's replacing it!!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Just make sure you've got your code for your stereo...if you have a factory stereo fitted.

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
been there done that when i first got the car and what a stuff around that was!! i never got any paperwork with my car when i bought it so i had to go to the local holden dealer who wanted to charge me $40 for the code (i told them to stick it) and went to another holden dealer and ended up getting it for $20. don't ask me why the price differed so much but it did!! and they told me there was no gaurantee after i'd paid the money that the code would work!!!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Gives Holden a bad name for after sales service, that they cant charge a standard price between dealerships. They really shouldnt take your money unless it works, its not like they're struggling for $. Like how pissed would you be if you spent the $ and it didnt work. Like you could have paid anyone to do that. Plus they would loose the customer for a few measly dollars. IMHO they would make more money if they provided better service because people generally like getting original manufacturers parts. Still love Holden's though. Lucky they make the best cars.