Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault Code 76

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Hey All!
Dads 97 VS V6 has developed a problem, showing a fault code 76, which is referring to the air/fuel ration being different on the left and right banks!
now ive pulled the plugs out and replaced them, were quite fouled on the drivers side!
ive replaced the leads, along with the coolant temp sensor and oxy sensors and nothings changed!
the injectors have recently been ultrasonically bathed too, so i was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this?
fuel pump knackered?
coil packs playing up?
this problems got me stumped!
thanks all!

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
what symtoms are you getting i was also getting fault code 76 i changed coolant temp sensor and the fault code is gone but my car still starts rough as guts goes through a heap of petrol blows a bit of black smoke and its not burning any oil and idles rough

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
exactly the same as what you just described! starting rough as guts! doesnt blow and smoke, and isnt using an outrageous amount of oil either!
the fuel pump makes a weird gargling noise when its primed, so im thinking that could be on the way out, as my pump when primed (VR V8) makes a nice buzzing noise, and they are the same pump!
could even be the fuel pressure regulator! hope its not, those little bastards are SO expensive!

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
!! :supersad: Bump :supersad: !! come on people surely somone else has had this prob and fixed it im sick of trail and error :cry:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
i had a good think about it today, and ive come up with the fuel pressure regulator is fooked! im sure of it!
dad gets 350ks out of a tank, 68L and its only a V6
i get 400K out of an 80L tank, and mines a V8, with traffic light squirts included! :driving:
his car takes forever to start, and it coughs when it does, but not much! does run for the first minute or so after its started, with even the slightest dab of the accelerator causing it to carry on!
the factor that sealed it, is his motor oil
i serviced his car the day after mine, both cars have the same amount of k's on them and both use the same oil
HOWEVER, upon checking his oil, it is a LOT darker than mine (been in there the same amount of k's)
this suggests to me that the regulator is fooked, causing lots of fuel to be consumed, washing down the bored and contaminating the oil!
and would also explain why its using such amounts of fuel, because the diaphram inside isnt functioning correctly, causing hardly any to go back to the tank, it all gets burnt (or lack there of)
repco was $129 retail for a new bosch regulator, or $89 trade price!
going to go to holden tomorrow to see what their prices are, then gonna fit it tomorrow afternoon!
will let ya know how it goes!

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
bought some oxygen sensors today done a bit or reading seems that might be the problem more so than a fuel pressure regulator repco quoted me $153 for one got two for $116 from holden dealership

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
changed both oxygen filters today didnt appear to make much of a difference perhaps time will tell ?

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
as i have posted on another question if on startup it struggles to start , rough idol and blows black smoke it has to be your fuel pressure regulator as i had the same problem with my vr v6 calais and i replaced it and has elimanated that problem as for black oil it goes that way because thats what fuel does to it , the fuel pressure is to high and blows past the rings and into the sump hope this help you

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
i had an error code 76 reading as well, though my car runs fine, except when crusing at 100, it wont go in to final drive most of the time