Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some advice on fuel consumption

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hi all. Last week I went for a trip down to the Victorian high country. Very nice down there. Anyways from Sydney to there it's around 800k's give or take... I fuelled up just before I left Sydney, then fuelled up again at Wangaratta. A total of 633k's and took exactly 50 litres. Do the math and that works out to be about 7.8 litres/100k's. Not bad when I'm mostly doing 110km/h down the Hume. However around Sydney and driving to work I'm struggling to reach 400k's driving like a granny. Roughly 13L/100k (keeping in mind my car is a stock VS exec with 382,000k's on it.

So whats my point? My point is I constantly read about people wanting better fuel economy out of their V6 that weighs the better part of one and a half tonne. At one point even I thought "Geez somethings wrong, I'd might change my O2 sensors". But theres nothing wrong with the car. It was only my expectations that were wrong. If you really want better economy and you're the type of driver that almost never sees an open road (no the M4 doesn't count) then get a smaller 6 or a 4 cylinder. The commodore really is a car best suited to open highway cruising.