Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS in need of help :(

L

lovemyvs

:my: Had my VS since August last year payed 10,000. Gear box slipping oil and coolant leaking. :b: Its my baby. Any advice, cause im sick of ford supporters telling me i should have got a ford and that my Holden is Holding together. Wanna hot it up and blow them away. :thumbsup:

Namheul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Where is the coolant and transmission oil leaking from?

L

lovemyvs

VS reply

The oil appears to be leaking from the motor, The coolant I havnt quite worked out just hoping its not a cracked head. See ive held off on mechanics because they either put **** parts in or they lie to me because im a female and think im dumb. One told me the problem with my transmission was th auto clutch and that it would cost 1500 dollars or more to fix, mind you he worked for the car company i bought it from. Auto clutch in a Auto lol. Transmission is slipping when I take off and going up hill, Im hoping its just a band.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
lovemyvs said:
The oil appears to be leaking from the motor, The coolant I havnt quite worked out just hoping its not a cracked head. See ive held off on mechanics because they either put **** parts in or they lie to me because im a female and think im dumb. One told me the problem with my transmission was th auto clutch and that it would cost 1500 dollars or more to fix, mind you he worked for the car company i bought it from. Auto clutch in a Auto lol. Transmission is slipping when I take off and going up hill, Im hoping its just a band.

If you bought the car of a used car dealer then I wouldn't take it to them to fix unless it's under warranty and it wont cost you a cent. Used car dealers just do shonkey work anyhow no matter if it's under waranty or not...

Firstly I'd check that the trasmission fluid is the correct level...

Go for a drive (min 24 km) then position the car on a level surface
With the handbrake on...move the selector through all positions on the trans and then back to Park while the engine is idling. After the motor has been idling in Park for three minutes remove the trans dipstick (red one at the back of motor) wipe with a clean clothe, reinsert fully and withdraw...check where the level goes to on the marks it should be at the FULL HOT mark. If low add some Dextron III...but do it a bit at a time rechecking the level (do not over fill).

If you stil have trans problems then

I'd take it to a few reputable auto reconditioners and see what they all say...that will sort out the decent shops from the rip off merchants...

By the sounds of it you will need a reco trans...

With the coolant... are you seeing green puddles of water dripping under the car ? Or are you just finding you need to keep filling the radiator up ?

If you have an internal leak...which will be costly

sign to look for are...

air bubbles in the radiator - start the car with radiator cap off let it warm up and see if you notice any fizzing of bubbles (nb. dont remove the cap when the motor is warm as the pressure will squirt hot water over you and scold you)

and note the exhaust when the car is running...there will be lots steam or water shooting / drippling out...(nb. there will usually bit a little condensation depending how long the car has been sitting and the air temperature on a cold morning so its best to do this test during the middle of the day)

External leaks

They can be anywhere from the cooling system...places to look

heads / inlet manifold / thermostat housing / water pump / heater hoses / heater tap / radiator hoses / and radiator... you may find crusy white deposits which indicate a leak spot.

Your heater core may be leaking...you'll notice wet front carpets with that.

also your radiator cap may be stuffed (not holding pressure ) so the coolant boils over and out the overflow of the reserve container...

I hope that gives you a start on what to look for...

Last edited:
L

lovemyvs

Thanx sixshooter your a ledgend. I drove from Logan to Cooperoo for work and the overflow was bubbling and boiling. I think all the hot weather has gotten to her Im sure she just doesnt like it. Its funny sometimes the coolant poors out and it is really noticable as everytime that happens every male that sees my car wants to tell me "your car is leaking somthing from the right hand side, can I have your number" Anyways I have to do somthing as I still have 4 years of payments on her. Should have became a mechanic would have been a hell of a lot cheaper lol. But other times its just a slow leak. Im so pissed though that I spend 10,000 on my dream 2nd dream car (first been a clubsport) and its fallen apart. :cry:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
no worries...

Also I forgot to mention....

Take it to a radiator place if you think it's an internal leak and ask if they can pressure test your system... It's a 5 min job (they attach a pump in place of the cap and pump it up and watch if the pressure guage goes down.) That will definately tell you if its a leak somewhere or just the cap..

L

lovemyvs

Thanx hun, your the best! Will have to shout you a beer! :drink: or bourbone wichever is your poison :) will let you know how I go asap :thumbsup:

L

lovemyvs

Its getting re painted soon as one of the kids i look after through the department scratched it all over with a rock, boy was i peeeed off. My original plan was to get a body kit or get it lowered, put big thick tyres on, and have some design like a dragon up the sides and on bonnet, sports exsaust and all but now i have to get it all fixed under the hood first darn it! :(

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
lovemyvs said:
Its getting re painted soon as one of the kids i look after through the department scratched it all over with a rock, boy was i peeeed off. My original plan was to get a body kit or get it lowered, put big thick tyres on, and have some design like a dragon up the sides and on bonnet, sports exsaust and all but now i have to get it all fixed under the hood first darn it! :(

Long as you get that Dragon Airbrushed....dont get a tacky sticker !!! Little Johnny with the rock might pee his pants when you see's you in it next... :)

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
lovemyvs said:
:my: Had my VS since August last year payed 10,000. Gear box slipping oil and coolant leaking. :b: Its my baby. Any advice, cause im sick of ford supporters telling me i should have got a ford and that my Holden is Holding together. Wanna hot it up and blow them away. :thumbsup:

hey ther
since i own my own vs i thought ill let u know of probs ive had since ive had them as well. first of all the vs transmisson is electronic and there for doesnt use bands, what his talking about is the torque convertor, though if its slipping id say its terminal, and the coolent id say u need a new water pump as i just changed mine at 175,000, also my car on long trips at 100 used to rev out to 4000 just sliping in the auto which made the coolent boil over, because the trans cools its oil through the radiator. sad to say but your prob up for a new trans, but if u do tell them to fit vt-vx solanoidas cause ive been told the vs ones are faulty, i put a new trans in at 120,000 and am having probs again. anyways good luck