Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ye old sound

Reaction score
I have a weird question but ey...

In the olden days, the V8's jus had this pure deep sound with a sorta spring as well it was so characteristic of em? Ya follow?

The knew V8's don't have this. Why? :(

Is there a way to get it back?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
new engines have a different sound because they are more refined. exactly the same between eco/buick. just to do with how much extra effort goes in to make the engine run smooth as a baby's bum

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I had a 49 Ford Custon with a sidevalve V8 - the left bank manifold went round the front of the engine and joined with the right hand bank leading to the muffler via a single pipe. The sound was unreal especially if you removed the muffler when in the bush. Modern V8s have catalytic convertors and multiple silencers and resonators to kill sound as thats what the customer wants. Unfortunately removing the catalytic convertor and putting a straight thru muffler on makes your car unroadworthy. Before the Ford Custom I had a Morris 8/40 convertible with a 2" copper tube exhaust which made it sound like a V8 despite the engine being equal in power to 2 Victa mowers. They call it progress!