Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering column key lock Help

S

sherr

Hi everyone i hope someone can help . I went to start the car today and the ignition lights came on and the car did not start and i could not turn the ignition off. after removing the cowl from around the column and removing the ignition switch from the lock assembly i notice that the keyway from the lock to the switch had snapped. Q1: is this keyway replaceable if so how do i remove it from the lock Q2: how do you remove the lock from the column to replace it.
Thanks
Steve

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
READ, AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND. I DO NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE CAUSED

To remove the lock, the key has to be in the on position. Take off the immobiliser surround, then you should see the white/grey 'button' which the key goes into. With some prying from a flat head, should come out. ***HOWEVER*** (READ THIS) If you're not careful, you can damage the locking pin IN WHICH YOU THEN NEED TO BUY A NEW HOUSING! The lock cylinder itself can set you anywhere between 90-120 dollars (depending on where you get it) but the housing requires more work, and more money. PLUS you have to get the barrel keyed if you want to keep using your key.

Now that you know that, it is easier to find a mobile locksmith in the Yellow Pages. I did that, paid 135 dollars, included new barrel, which was keyed and fitting. Better off doing that.

Where bout's you located? Can refer you to the bloke that did mine if you're in or around Melbourne's West

S

sherr

Thanks newo
I am located in Wollongong . I think I will visit the local locksmith

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah they know what they're doing. Also, don't call mobile mech for that. They were going to sting me 285 dollars just to replace the cylinder!