Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct Scan Tool/Cable/Adapter?

midtownjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Statesman
Am looking to do some diagnostic work to:
1. Read a check engine code
2. Clear an airbag warning light
3. Bluetooth some live engine data to an app on my phone to monitor/troubleshoot it as I drive along

Please note the paper clip trick has not helped (shows code 12) in regards to issue #1. Only mechanics scan tool tells me what the actual code is but cant keep running to him.
As I understand it an ALDL Usb cable & Tunerpro should do the trick on the first two fronts?
There doesn't seem to be ALDL Bluetooth adapters, just OBDII ones? Will the OBDII adapter read any basic data at all - or is it an all or nothing deal?

A method to accomplish all 3 goals would obviously be ideal.

Car is a VS V8 Statesman (95)

Thanks in advance!

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
ALDL only...... maybe a ALDL bluetooth connector out there but I havnt seen one...... OBD2 wont work unless your running an ls1 V8 in ya stato :)
airbag on anything below a VT can only be done via a tech1...
you can connect a tablet\phone via a aldl cable but it will need to have the USB host feature...have a look ere
pcmhacking.net - View topic - ALDLDroid Android App

another site with software/info that may help
Envyous Customs - Holden Commodore Diagnostic Software

also there is info in the how-to section and tuning sections of this forum

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
OBDII wont read **** because your car isn't OBDII, its ALDL/OBDI.

OBDII is a world wide thing thus why there is cheap bluetooth adapters and various cheap cables, there is NO bluetooth ALDL.

Your just gonna have to fork out $70 or so for a ALDL cable, buy one off Envyous Customs since it comes with free software and he guarantees the cables too, compared to a few other ebay ones that if they dont work your up **** creek.

Advanced Engine Diagnostics - Envyous Customs

The airbag codes on the other hand are a different beast and i don't know if you will be able to find any software to clear them yourself outside of buying a Tech1.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Am looking to do some diagnostic work to:
1. Read a check engine code
2. Clear an airbag warning light
3. Bluetooth some live engine data to an app on my phone to monitor/troubleshoot it as I drive along

Please note the paper clip trick has not helped (shows code 12) in regards to issue #1. Only mechanics scan tool tells me what the actual code is but cant keep running to him.
As I understand it an ALDL Usb cable & Tunerpro should do the trick on the first two fronts?
There doesn't seem to be ALDL Bluetooth adapters, just OBDII ones? Will the OBDII adapter read any basic data at all - or is it an all or nothing deal?

A method to accomplish all 3 goals would obviously be ideal.

Car is a VS V8 Statesman (95)

Thanks in advance!

I unfortunately havent had the chance to add in VS commodores to my SRS software simply because I dont have the a Tech1 to to reverse engineer.

If you know what your mechanics scantool is, I can look into investing into one of them since its been on the high priority list for a while now.

midtownjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Statesman
Thanks guys!
Shall just grab an ALDL cable and if their is capacity to run it via a smart phone with a little work, even better. If not a lappy on the passenger seat should do!

Not sure what scan tool my mech has but I'll ask next time I see him. Fun fact the airbag code was being thrown by a bad earth in the tail lights......guess that's why auto elec's get paid the big bucks :yeah: