Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shattered

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
god im pissed off...
i went to go somewhere this arvo and when i got to my car in the garage i noticed the rear windscreen was shattered!!!! :ranting:
i have absolutely no idea how this happened...it was in a locked garage,no visible impact point i can see from anything hittin it..and no signs of any break-in to the garage or car.
the whole windcreen is evenly shattered all over,like those glass walls you see with the "shattered glass" look so you cant clearly see through them.
has anyone ever experienced/heard of a rear windscreen just shattering for no reason??
its gunna cost me $400 to fit a replacement one,plus then i gotta tint it again to match the other windows :cry:

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Maybe it was knocked, I remember years ago a mate accidentally hit the rear windowin his car with a spanner when he was doing something to the parcel shelf, 1 week or so later it just shattered, something to do with aftershock I think, mind you the car never left the garage.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
two possibilities come to mind 1) rust around the edge can cause stress and than bang (although a crack would be more likely) 2) Flexing from the boot.

Mike

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Temperature could also have something to do with it. but probably a rare thing.

wouldn't recommend pouring hot water onto a window with ice on it.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah...i am pretty certain it wasnt hit or bumped,it was fine when i parked it in the garage last night...and as you said it would have cracked.
i have a theory (a far fetched one) that i was thinkin about...
i remember when i parked the car i put out a smoke in the ashtray...my theory is that it might not have gone out and started to burn the other cig butts in the ash tray,also burnin up the oxygen left in the closed car..this might have changed the pressure on the inside compared to the outside...thus creating a outward pressure on the windows, and the rear windscreen was the first to give way, shattering evenly from the pressere applied to it.
anyway,i dont know if thats possible or what...but i cant think of anything else that might have caused this.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

my girlfriend's dad has a vs and they were driving it one day and the rear window was fogged up so they put the rear demister on and within minutes the window just shattered. wierd ay,

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Good theory but no go - the inside of a car has many many places for air pressure to equalise. What sort of smokes were they?
Remember that the rear window is made of heat-tempered single layer armoured glass. This means that the outer layers on both sides are heat tempered to resist scratching and most importantly to enable the glass to shatter into very small pieces on impact and not just break into little and big pieces (which will cut you bad). Because of this they are very brittle and can break for no apparent reason. As slyvr says, try a wrecker...they will usually instal it as well for under $100 total. If one wrecker doesn't do it then try another. Good Luck.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok..cheers man...i knew my theory was pretty out there but i was just rackin my brain tryna work out how the f*ck this happened.

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
well you can assume that it wasn't hit by anything, as more likely than not the glass would have shattered and sprayed in the direction that whatever hit it was travelling in (e.g. hammer, football). tempered glass shatters very easily if you knock one of the corners, so maybe there was some slight pressure on it from changes in heat...who knows.