Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lock up clutch in auto VS

J

Joes_meat

I have a completely standard V6 auto VS II Exec with 173,000km's on it.

I was reading that my torque converter has a lock up clutch that functions in 4th gear only.

At 100 it's sitting at 2100-2200 RPM. But will rise a little if I accelerate and fall if I take my foot off the throttle. Only about 500-600 rpm at the most, but I thought the lock-up clutch wouldn't let the torque converter slip like that?

I don't have any problems with the transmission, the fluid is a good colour and smell, there are no shudders or vibrations in any gear. I'm just wondering if it's meant to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jake.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
lol the lock up gears disengage so it doesnt put extra strain on the converter :) so its basically like having 5 gears with little difference between them

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
sounds like your torque convertor has had it, because a vs should rev about 1800-1900 at 100kay, ive had probs with mine got it reco at 120000 now have done 180000 and having issues with it not going into final drive again, but its a sesnor issue not transmisson. so yeah you prob need a new trans id say,

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
have you checked that your tacho is accurate before you go and anythng drastic????

J

Joes_meat

How would I check that?

It wouldn't surprise me if my tacho was out, the car idles at exactly 1000rpm but it sounds more like 700 or 800.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
get a hold of a tech1 from holden and hook it up to your computer and get it to come up with the idle speed thats being sent to the computer......then compare it to your tacho on your dash

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeah its the brick (computer) they hook up to yours to get all the specs and operating stuff...
its the most accurate thing u will get so id advise it