Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange knocking noise

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
Hi peeps,

I just started my commie and drove for about 2 mins then when the car was idling it started making a loud strange knocking noise from the engine bay. when i finally got the car to my destination, i checked my oil levels and it is all ok, i can't seem to find the source of the knocking. But i did notice a large piece of the front of the crank pulley is missing :mad: could this be the source of my problems, i drive the car pretty hard sometimes and hope i have'nt F$%#ed it :cry: . Please help!!!

Z

Z()LTAN

when u say a large piece of the crank pully is missing what are u actually seeing?
because if that pully is unbalanced ur engine will get real bad soon.

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Sounds like you have definately shat your harmonic balancer that happened to me on my way to qld.
Stopped at a servo to hear a real bad knocking noise found ou it was the balancer.
If the rubber on the balancer has come away at all even cracking get a new balancer and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it because the crank angle sensor id located behind the balancer and when putting the new balancer on must be positioned 100% right in the groooves and gap checked so you dont destory the sensor

BTW is you car running bad, if so you will need the crank angle sensor aswell

G

GMH 72

Definately sounds like the harmonic balancer has **** itself. Don't leave it too long before replacing it as it can cause a hell of a lot of damage if it lets go & could even end up in some-one elses windscreen.

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
Hi peeps,

Yeah managed to get it to a mechanic on the same day and got the harmonic balancer replaced $304 :thumbsup: . So its all good now, cheers for your advice. :bow:

B

bundyman85

dose anyone no how to replace the harmonic balancer ona vs 3.8L? like how to put it in the ring groves ?