Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6>>>VR V8

jessedevery

JSD334
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
My neighbour offered to swap my kawasaki ZZR250, which has a bit of panel damage still runs great and only worth like 1500 bucks now, for his 5.0L VN berlina stationwagon. i own a VR 3.8L sedan which ive done up over the last few months, rims, zuast, kit etc, pretty much done everything i want but would be nice to put the 5.0L in... would any one be able to shed some light on what it would cost me to swap the engines over, so there both legal, so i could sell the VN berlina wagon with my VRs 3.8L in it. and i know it wouldnt be as simple as just swapping the engines, but im wondering wot from the VN could be transferrred... and wot from the VR could be used, geerbox, ecu, suspension(from vn maybe?).....the other alternative is slap a LS2 in a few years.... but im so impatient

cheers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
the motor and trans can be used out of the wagon, but i think you'll need a different tailshaft. Not sure if a VR/VN are the same. (wagons are long wheel base and have a longer tailshaft)

theres more to it than that, but i'm not sure of it all.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Isn't it you can put a newer motor in an older vehicle but not the other way round ?

If thats the case you could swap the 6 into the wagon with no dramas...

but putting the 8 into the VR would not be legal...

best to check with your RTA on this one...

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yeah but the VN V8 is the same engine as the VR V8 so it's legal.
pretty sure the v8 gearbox has different input shaft, so it may not be straight forward if you want to keep the electronic box. suspension isn't a straight fit. VN struts have a detatchable sleeve to mount the wheel hub, whereas VR's the sleeve is brazed onto the strut, pretty sure springs will fit, but ask someone else first. engine/gb crossmembers are not identical, but will fit without hassles. ecu is only kept if you use the electronic box (see above). that's all I can think of for now