Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Fan problems (checked existing threads, no help)

U121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S1
Having troubles with the fan in my VS Series 1, seems to be heat related but i can't track down where the problem's occurring.

When I start the car, the fan doesn't always start... sometimes it's on with the key turned to acc. but when i actually turn it over, the fan stops and may not start again for up to 10 minutes. i assume it's a heat related problem because it doesn't appear to happen in the colder months, or while it's raining... at least it doesn't happen as often or for as long.

I've changed the relay and the fan speed resistor to no avail, so i'm not sure where it's coming in. the switch is fine, there are no loose connections there... i'm just at a loss and any help you could offer would be great, if it's something i have to get an auto elec to check it out, so be it... but i'd love to be able to fix it myself... money being the main issue :p.

Thanks,
Dayle.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
fan only comes on when engine temp reaches 3/4 or 1/2 . or if the A/C is turned on the fan should turn on with it, (fan turns off when accelerating hard and PWR button is on.)
unless your cars overheating I wouldn't worry about it.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I think U121 is talking about the interior cabin fan.

Seeing as how you've already ruled out the relay and fan speed resistor that means electrical contunuity is your problem. I'm wondering if it's something inside the fan? Maybe pose the question in the electrical section, you may get a better response there.

U121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S1
thanks.

yeah, i was talking about the cabin fan, should've specified that :).... i'll post in the electrical forum and see what pops up, thanks.

P

portercg

Mine's bloody doin' it too exactly the same but only a minute delay

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
try changing the following relays -

a/c fan (blue stripe from memory)
low thermo fan (yellow stripe)
hi thermo fan (yellow stripe)
ignition (black bosch)

to save u spending millions on relays, swap them first one by one from other areas

bear in mind the yellow and blue stripe relays are holden specific, and you'll need to buy them from them

U121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S1
thanks, i'll try that.