Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 304 Auto - Firing Issues

Kowahb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s ute
I own a VS v8 auto ute.

Amber engine light on and no crank.

I adjusted the throttle cable and base idle screw which raised the idle heaps.
Diagnostics WERENT bridged(slight oversight on my part - I owned a VB beforehand and didn't think anything about it.)

Upon dropping it the engine would crank but would only pop every couple of strokes when it fired which stopped as well and only cranked so twisted the dizzy cap which had at times come loose and it started coughing upon cranking again.
(I believe at this point I had bridged diag.)

I've been adjusting the timing and cleaned throttle body and reset IAC trying to get a better result tho to no effect.

After unplugging the bat this arvo she now won't crank.
Got a 22 (tps) and 31 (theft deterrent) on codes now (used to be only 12)

Plz help.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
tps issue is either from turning the base idle screw too far and the ecu is seeing to high of a voltage so it thinks the tps is cactus or the cleaning fluid you used ran down the shaft into the tps and killed it.code 31 will most likely be the key not making contact with the ring around the barrel

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Biggest trap people fall into is turning the distributor by the cap. This wears the locating tabs on the cap and the cap won't sit tight on the dizzy so it moves around affecting timing and the gaps between the rotor button and the posts.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The way I remember it is set it up tdc..rotor button to no.1
Back off idle speed/throttle screw to where it was {maybe that's why tps code comes up)

Once it's all up & running bridge pins 5 & 6 for diagnostics mode then check timing is at 10 deg & idle rpm is where it should be.

Clear codes disconnecting battery,let it sit for a bit then try again to see how it goes or if codes come up again.

Lock/unlock doors if key head/ignition ring not working properly.
Basically get 1-2 mins after button press before immobiliser resets

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Also you need to have 10-15mm of play in the throttle cable otherwise the engine will be revving too high.

Kowahb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s ute
Thanks guys.!