Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs dash gurgling noise ocasionally

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
hi..in the vs, I get a gurgling noise occasionally from under the dash. I had this on another car and it was a blown head gasket, but this prob on the vs is only occasonally, and im not using coolant. could it be a faulty rad cap allowin engine to boil sumtimes, and getting air in coolant system that way. does that nake sense?? ta

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well one question, why the heck arent u running coolant ??? secondly a radiator cap is 12 bux i think, and another thing is to test your Thermostat

P

portercg

Most likely an airlock in the heater sytem. Turn the heater tap on for a minute to bleed it out.
see how you go and get back to me

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
ahhhh my boo boo, Im using coolant, but the car isnt leaking or consuming coolant:)) umm an airlock in the heater core...agreed, but how is the air getting there, i can drive it for a week and no noises..then it will happen out of nowhere..il try the rad cap..easiest:)

P

portercg

The heater tap's getting old that's all. Another local car with the problem is TM-TP Magna but instead of a gurgle it's a clicking noise, you would swear it was a dry speedo cable but there you go.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Heater Core!!! I tried quite a few posts on different forums with the same damn problem and no-one had a sure answer for it. But after a lot of fiddling i've come to the conclusion that the problem is a small block in the heater core. Even though the heater runs fine and is hot as, as soon as it warms up for a good 10-15 mins, you'll start to hear the gurgle every so often, flip the thermo straight over to 'cool' and hey presto, noise is gone. Since it costs an arm and a leg to replace the heater core, i've learned to just put up with the noise because it's not effecting the heat and there's no water or such pissing out on my feet! Oh...and its not the heater tap either, had mine replaced and the whole system pressure tested too many times and its always come back fine. It's up to you i suppose, go to a mechanic (mind you they'll still have no idea), tell them to check the heater core, and if there is a block, you can replace if you like, just have fun with the hefty bill at the end :yeah:

Cheers,
Boojakz

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
definately the heater core, bubbles, a block, filth, or the whole thing is cactus

the ole VK used to do it, i never bothered getting it fixed

S

Szaba The Hut

VZ clicking noise from behind engine even with engine stopped

I picked up the car yesterday, it has 270km now having driven it from Perth to Dardanup. Today I noticed a tick-tick-tick-tick (approx 4 ticks per second) coming from the engine bay after i stopped the car and was walking away. Popped the bonnet and the sound is coming from the rear of the engine bay on the firewall behind the engine itself.

Sounds like the (loud) clicking of a relay but no electrics are going with the key removed are they? I'm going to fiddle with the heater controls and see what happens. Will take it to dealer in Bunbury tomorrow.

S

Szaba The Hut

That was it!

As soon as i turned the heat selection up the ticking noise vanished. :)

V

vrberlina5sdp

had same problem, fixed it by flushing the heater core out with running water for 10 min, lots and lots of crap came out!