Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice hard start - intermittent problem

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Hi everyone. This is my first post (be gentle).
This is an intermittent problem.
Hard to start HOT (after say 20 mins standing), or hard to start COLD first thing in the morning.

My VS Caprice has had the same starting problem symptom for the past 8 months. It is intermittent - every 6 to 8 days. The problem occurs either first thing in the morning after "resting" through the night, or about half an hour after leaving it in a car park (hot).

When hot, the problem occurs, usually half an hour after leaving it in a car park (hot). I hear the fuel pump "wer", making lots of gurgling sounds. The motor turns over OK and then splutters once, and then nothing. Eventually (usually, just after ringing for the NRMA, it starts, usually by the standard "foot flat on the floor before the ignition is on technique"). When it starts it can blow buckets of black smoke for a few seconds then runs as sweet as sweet.

Or, when it does not start from cold in the morning, it just cranks with no indication of life at all. Eventually if my battery is still OK it will start, no reason, no smoke, just sweet as sweet. I think that mostly when HOT, it is flooding, but when COLD, 50% of the time it is from fuel starvation because just before it starts (from COLD) I often hear the fuel pump suddenly prime the fuel rail even though I always hear the fuel pump "wer" when the ignition is switched on before the relays click in control. The other 50% of the time COLD start condition is similar to the HOT condition - obvious flooding with buckets of black smoke for a few seconds then runs as sweet as sweet.

To-date Auto-electricians have replaced plugs, ignition module (twice), fuel pump, computer (swap-out) no effect so they re-installed my original. Coil has been checked. CAS in the dizzy is suspect and also the fuel pressure regulator, but there are varying opinions on this. Apparently the computer codes are of no useful indication.

I would like to be able to monitor the codes myself. If anyone can tell me what I need, I would be very appreciative of the help. I am computer and coms literate.

Other than this starting problem, the engine runs as good as new - very sweet. It has never stopped while running.

As I have mentioned, this problem is intermittent and is driving every one insane - a legion of NRMA people and Auto-electricians are close to suicidal, not to mention yours truly - ready to burn the car before signing in to the asylum. HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
paperclip for the codes

look in the how to section

V

vrd00m

if it's running fine once it's running i would go with replacing the fuel pressure reg.

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Haloeight - thanks for the paperclip advice - I found the post.
Does anyone know if you can plug a notebook computer into the outlet and get more info like date of code generation , re-zeroing the database etc.?

vrd00m - thanks for your comment - all my testing so far tends to point to the fuel pressure regulator. If it is the problem then it is failing in both the closed and open position. Perhaps jamming when it tries to open or close (if that's possible).

The last time I had a starting problem was last Saturday. Since then no problems, the car has been starting perfectly everytime in all conditions (!!!???!!!).
I will keep you posted - next anticipated problem is due next Sat or Sun. The problem sometimes seems to be triggered when we have a sticking hot day. Watch this space.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
sorry to ask a stupid question, but what the hell is a VS Capris?????

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
DSTRBD - VS Caprice, the luxury model above the stato

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
haloeight said:
DSTRBD - VS Caprice, the luxury model above the stato
DSTRBD & Haloeight - Thanks for the spell check!!! :embarrass

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
jonh_vs said:
DSTRBD & Haloeight - Thanks for the spell check!!! :embarrass

what spelling mistake? :p

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Hello everyone -
OK, I have just had the same starting problem (one day early) - engine cold, first thing in the morning - Engine has flooded and is pumping lots of black smoke out the exhaust when I try to start it. It runs for about ten or so revolutions and then stops. I checked the fault codes and found the following ....

12 No RPM Signal (OK Stationary Engine)
16 ECT Sensor Voltage Unsteady
31 Theft Deterrent Signal Missing
36 Vacuum Leak

Any clues? What do you think? :confused:

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Update on this mornings problem -
The only way we could get the car started and remain running was to take out the fuel pump fuse, start the car and (before it stopped) replace the fuse. Feathering the accelerator, the engine cleared itself and then ran "normally". Since then the engine has been starting mormally!!!???!!!! :confused: :computer:

Last edited: