Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temperature Gauge Faulty

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi Guys,

I took the parents VS exec out before, and I noticed that the temperature gauge was still on cold, after more than 20 mins of driving. I also have a VS myself, so I know this isn't right. Coolant level is fine, thermostat is also ok, and a new water pump was installed not long ago. The thermo fan is also working, both with the A/C running, and also when the motor gets hot, so I'm assuming the coolant temp sensor is ok. I had to stop quickly on the way home, and the gauge gave a reading then, but it was still way below normal, so I'm thinking that maybe the sender is stuffed?

If that is the case, does anyone know what one is worth, and is it an easy changeover?

Thanks Guys!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
theres two coolant temp sensors one is $10 and does the guages readings and the other controls when the thermo fan comes on and costs $25

they are both very easy to replace they just bolt out the manifold

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'm pretty sure its the one that sends the reading to the temp gauge that is faulty. Does any sort of sealant have to be applied to the thread of the sensor, or does it just screw straight in?

Cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
screws straight in, mine cost 14 bux from holden, get a ring spanner on it and take the old one out gently trying not to get coolant it ur eyes :)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
is the vr its in a bugger of a spot, right beneath the alternator :( not sure in the vs though, good luck any way :)

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Its just under the thermostat housing, so it shouldnt be too difficult to get to.

Cheers