Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Trans Problem...

Z

Z()LTAN

VS series 1
Okay well ive just had my car towed back from 1/2 way on out JC perth cruse to mandurah.. Umm the trans sump seemd to b leaking real bad, straight onto my extractors.. Plumes of black smoke out the back, made me stop in a hurry. Trans otherwise is perfect... Why the hell did this hapen, i do 'drive' the car a bit but never thrash the livin hell out of it... Never do bumpstarts never anything painfull on the trans... Thinking it has just blown a trans sump seal or something... ill see on mon whats the deal...

Z

Z()LTAN

anyone know if it may have shat some trans bushes in it and spat them out through the seal? ehhh :(

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Maybe a ruptured torque converter ?

How bad was it ? Did you lose drive altogether ?

Maybe only one of the trans lines going to the radiator has ruptured or something...

Sounds like the exhaust shop may have had something to do with it ?

Awefully sus....just after you had extractors fitted....

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
if gear box is still working as per normal , i had the same problem every now and then a plume of smoke would apear while i was driving at high speeds in motorway conditions as this causes high pressure in trans , it would leak out through gasket and on to exhaust , as i have had mine replaced about a year ago and i have had no more problem , if those cork or rubber gaskets are over tightened they split and dont seal properly hope this helps

Z

Z()LTAN

yeah vr_calais that sounds exactly what ive got... ill prolly get the tranny servised too anyway

and sixshooter i still have drive and all that, its just a ruptured tranny sump

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
did ya clean it down then try running again just to be sure the it is the sump an not the from inside the bell housing? cause that wat i thought happen to mine an 2 gaskets later i realised it was the seal from the torque conventer :cry:

Z

Z()LTAN

OMG OMG YES!!!! it was only the rocker covers! the back passanger one poped the back gasket and oozed out onto the exhaust! only will cost me $150 YES!!!!!!!!

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
glad to here zoltan it was just a gasket pop , as your heart drops thinking they have major problems there is to many things that can & will go wrong on the cars of today as i had a vb commodore for fifteen years and had no were nere as many problems as the calais i have had for three years and cost half of much for parts (trouble shooting nightmare)