Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 6 no spark

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hi guys

I'm trying to get my old project running after its been sitting for a few years, final problem I have now is no spark.

I had a very weak spark yesterday morning but thats died out now.

I'm running a brand new battery, cranks over no problems. I can't check fault codes as its got a haltech in it and i'm trying to find an old enough laptop to plug in but so far no luck.

All three coils have even resistance around 5.6, I've pulled down the dfi cleaned back all the surfaces and the bracket it mounts onto. cleaned the pins in the connector.

Mounted all new earths from battery to chassis and engine. There is power on the red wire of the dfi connector, around 300mv with ign on. power at the CAS but again not much. not sure how much should be there?

I feel like i've missed something obvious but I'm at a loss. Before I start buying parts does anyone have any suggestions?

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
A new CAS is only 20 bucks on ebay couldn't hurt to have a spare

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you have a spare Delco? try plugging that in to see what happens. The Haltechs are sensitive to voltage spikes and can die if any connections to the battery are disturbed with the ignition on.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Got it sorted in the end... obviously was missing the 12 volts at the DFI, found that one of the terminals had come out of the relay mount, after that found that the CAS was gone so replaced that and had plenty of spark but still no start. Had injector pulse and heaps of fuel pressure, did my head in following the gregories troubleshooting to no avail.

Out of desperation I took one injector terminal and hooked it onto one of the 42lb injectors I have waiting to go in and I could feel the injector operating so swapped them all in and to my delight it started straight away. I'm guessing the standard injectors seized up while sitting idle for 4+ years. Now just need to turn the injectors a little as it can hardly run with the 42s in.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for the update mate