Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory Gas Question, Fuel Switch Problem

be_inspyred

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo & VT SS 5.0
Hi, my uncle has a V6 VS statto on factory gas and is having problems with the standard switch that flicks between gas and petrol.

The problem is that the LED lights will not light up, therefore he does not know what fuel he is on (well he doesn but not at a glance!)

Anyone had this problem before? is it simply a matter of replacing the switch ? By the way it still switches between the fuels fine juz doesnt light up.

Cheers,

Jase

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
g'day... had the exact same problem here......

one globe dying is aight but both is a pain...

the swtich just comes out but the light are very tiny and u have to buy them from holden as repco etc dont sell them....

i ended up putting a green and red LED with little modification to the switch as the stock lights are 12v and the leds are 5v

hope this helps

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I reckon I'd find the active wire that powers the fuel pump and run a wire from this to a bulb/led on the dash where you cannot miss it. The fuel pump must operate when running on petrol so if the light is off you are cooking with gas.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
hako said:
I reckon I'd find the active wire that powers the fuel pump and run a wire from this to a bulb/led on the dash where you cannot miss it. The fuel pump must operate when running on petrol so if the light is off you are cooking with gas.

this solution wont work...... when running on gas the fuel pump still operates and provides fuel to the rails etc... this is to minimize air locks in the system and help prevent corrosion....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
futronix said:
this solution wont work...... when running on gas the fuel pump still operates and provides fuel to the rails etc... this is to minimize air locks in the system and help prevent corrosion....
Never thought of that!

be_inspyred

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo & VT SS 5.0
Thanks for the replies! Can i just pop the switch out to replace it or do i have to take that whole section of dash out ??

CHeers

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
switch just pops out.... if i recall corectly u have to put ur hand behind it and give it a helping hand but it does come out without anything needing to come off....

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
be_inspyred said:
Thanks for the replies! Can i just pop the switch out to replace it or do i have to take that whole section of dash out ??

CHeers

Switch wont pop out,u have to take the dash facia out.New ones are available from Holden.In the mean-time,when u turn the ignition u should hear continiuos clicking coming from the engine bay(thats LPG),if u not u'r on petrol.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
VT_Acclm said:
Switch wont pop out,u have to take the dash facia out.New ones are available from Holden.In the mean-time,when u turn the ignition u should hear continiuos clicking coming from the engine bay(thats LPG),if u not u'r on petrol.

u dont have to take the fascia off....... well not on the VS neways....

the piggy back plug comes off the back of the switch and two tabs are all that holds it in.... all reachable when u take the bottom cover off....