Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS problems in VS?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hello, Just a quick question... Does anyone know if the VS IRS models suffered from the tyre wear and camber problems like that of the VX series 1? I don't think theres any difference in the IRS design from VS through to VX series 1's but I might be wrong.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm pretty sure they did, as did the VR. The camber wear is especially bad when towing. The design is pretty poor really as a well designed IRS will not have any problems - my old Jag had IRS and no wear problems.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I just bought an IRS equiped VS Calais...stock ride height...and tyres are wearing good with no inside wear...

If you lower them thats when you get tyre wear problems...and you need to get camber kits to correct it...

edit: tyres are half worn...and car has a towbar...but I dont know what it's been towing...

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yep they sure do suffer from uneven wear... we got slightly wider tyres on our VS and the bugger wears unevenly.....

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
With my current set of tyres I'm on 60,000kms with my IRS VSII Stato, standard rims and ride height. Still plenty of tread left. From everything I've read, the wear issue still happens on VR-VS (again, aggravated by lowered suspension) but is nowhere near as bad as the number of cars of the VT-onwards that have it. To the naked eye the negative camber of the VT is so much more obvious than the VS.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I've got a VS Berlina with 165,000kms on the clock, with the independant rear end, and I've had absolutely no tyre issues at all thankfully. The car is lowered with the factory FE2 suspension too. I could just be lucky though, as I know it can certainly be a problem for some cars....

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
If you like to spin it up around corners then say goodbye to the inside tyre tread. My tyres are practically bald on the inside, it's ridiculous. IRS is pure ****, there's so many problems with it, the VR/VS IRS K Frames are weak as piss and snap alot, not cheap and if you plan to lower your car be prepared to spend another $300 just on the stupid camber kit.

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
VR's and VS's arn't as bad as VT's because they're alot lighter, which means less weight on the rear wheels, less uneven wear. VR's and VS's go bad when you tow alot, or when you accelerate strongly, constantly.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I just noticed the other day that my inside suspension arm bushes have been replaced with nolathanes so the previous owner must have had a camber kit fitted...maybe thats why my tire wear is so good now.. :thumbsup:

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
i've got a hsv with irs and sit quite low, i don't have tire wear issues, but i do have the level ride suspension and i do rotate my tires frequently to try and prevent this.