Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why wont it start???

only-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vy + 20s = good
hi all i have a vs acclaim series 1. I have looked through the formus and cant find info on exactly what my car is doing.
first it will have trouble on some days after driving for any about of time 30mins or 2hours. when i go to start it the dash lights come on but the motor wont turn over when i turn the key to the off and try again it will either start and then stall or take more attempts untill it starts.
more recently it has been doing the same thing but when it goes to start it takes a long time to crank over.
any advise please?
battery and contacts are still fine as well.

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
also it could be the crank angle sensor does the engine trouble light come on at all when it is playing up and how old is your key maybe that is causing a problem

only-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vy + 20s = good
No the engine trouble light doesnt come on dont know how old the key is probably 10 years old got a new key cut but it didnt work so i will get another one cut.

where do i take it to get the coil pack and the crank angle sensor checked (holden)or not

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah mine has a few issues on starting too. It starts, but takes a bit to crank. Gonna check the plugs, see how they are. Might have a look at the high ignition coil see what the go is, and check my coil pack too.

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
my calais v6 also takes a bit to crank and some days fires straight away but i only suffer with stalling (very rare occasion) if i reverse out and go to put it in drive , i have been told off a mate of mine that the crank angle sensor is causing my problem , if you are unsure i would maybe book it in with someone that has a diognostic machine to tell you what the problem is , i know off a person that booked there car into a run of the mill mechanic with no diagnostic machine and they were trouble shooting just the same as us at the owners expence and the mechanic doesn't drive the car everday so he just keeps replacing parts to find the problem

R

Roquen

I just got told my crank angle sensor or dFI needs to be replaced - same problem, except my VS ute stalled at 80kmhr in traffic. Very dangerous! Also has trouble starting, but if i open the hood, it will start, i guess that lets the hot air out.

Im pretty peeved because its not covered under my warranty, and I was quoted $350 for the crank angle sensor, or $450 for the DFI

ness

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
I looked at a VS II Acclaim in a car yard a couple of months ago, when i tried to start, it simply wouldn't turn over. changed gears still wouldn't turn over. then i turned away for a sec and the car salesman started it, first go. i couldn't make it out. It had only done ~130000k's, but he wanted $9k for it. The person who bought it has more money than brains. i think i read somewhere that the immobiliser has issues with the key (sometimes when you unlock, it doesn't disable the immobiliser) or something like that.

Last edited: