Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Climate Control Problem

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi, I'm currently driving a VS V6 Berlina and lately my Air Con/Climate Control has been making a loud buzzing/grinding type sound whenever I turn it on, and gets louder when I increase the power of the fan. The sound seems to be soming from the area around/behind the glovebox. The drivers side fan (right next to the Drivers side door) also is failing to blow out air at all however this may have been occurring before the noise problem. Could this be something stuck in the air vents or am I looking at a far worse/more expensive problem?

Any help would be appreciated to save me from these hot summer days,

Cheers Killer

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
Maybe you have some crap stuck in the blower fan?

Take off the glovebox (open it up then remove the plastic pin
in the lower right) and fish around in the round blower unit that
is behind the glovebox....

See how you go.

/DP

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
From what you describe it sounds like something to do with the fan:hit: .

Maybe involves the soleniod control valves aswell...

You'll need to remove the black plastic tray at the back and underneath of the glovebox to get to your fan. It's quite simple... there's only a few plastic screw type plugs to be undone... then pull the little rectangular plugs out and the tray will drop out revealing the fan which is hidden behind a vacuum controlled movable shroud. The shroud is what determines if the air is recirculated or outside air is used...I think. Once you've done that, you should be able to see whats causing the noise with the air cond running... sorry thats all I can suggest atm...

If your shroud doesn't move when you move though the vent settings then most probably your solenoid valves are stuffed...they sit under the radio...it's a time consuming job as you will need to remove your whole console to check them.

You can hear your solenoid valves when you move through the settings...a distinct hiss should be heard at every change...

But before you go and rip your console out...check that the vacuum ball under the passenger guard is holding vacuum...easy to tell take the hose off and listen for a hiss of air being sucked in. Then reconnect it and start your motor looking for vacuum leaks trace the vacuum line back to the motor looking for cracks in the hoses.

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
EDIT: Problem sorted, bit of plastic stuck in the fan, pulled the pin out of inside/right of glovebox with screw driver and came out a treat.

Thanks again for the help,

Killer

Last edited: