Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many ltrs fit in a VS cooling system?

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
Ok so my coolant was a yuck brown colour so I thought I should change it. When to repco, got the reccommended coolant. Commo's have to be mixed 50/50 with coolant and water and I was told that a VS holds 12ltrs. So i bought a 6ltr bottle of coolant, and some mukout to clean my system out. So i emptied the old sh*t out. The car was cold. I then put the mukout in, filled with water then took it for a 10 min drive. Temp got up to around 1/3. I then left it for a while then emptied it out... i noticed that sh*t all fluid emptied, no where near 12ltrs. So i got on the blower to ma dad, he said that the thermistat is prolly closed and the water in the engine isnt flushing out. Does this sound right? Anyways i flushed it out again and filled with water and it fit 7ltrs in.. Im just gunna run water in it for a day or 2 to give it a good clean out b4 i put my new coolant in.

Any thoughts??
Thanks

Z

Z()LTAN

when u do a radiator flush it isnt as simple as changin the fluid in the radiator as there is almost 1/3 of it in the block, u need run the engine till the fan comes on (with the radiator cap off) then when the fan stops turning, take the bottom hose of the radiator and keep the engine running, the raidiator should flush and then block should also when the thurmostat opens, get it nice and hot but not too hot then put the bottom hose back on but dont tighten it, then put the water hose in the top of the radiator and fill it up and reapeat again. Flushes the block well. Turn the car off and put all pipes back on and fill the radiator up.

Turn the car back on and open the thermostat again and continue to fill with ur coolant mix, keep it runnin for a few thermo cycles and continue to fill up the radiator

After this is done open the air bleeding screw at the top of the thermostat housing and bleed the top and air out and top up as nessesary.

Put the radiator cap back on and presurise it by goin for a quick drive.

Come home and let it cool down (wait about 1-2 hours) then open radiator again and top it up.

The radiator and block should now b fully flushed and blead!

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Dont you think that adding cold water to a hot engine will cause a thermal shock to the engine. I would remove the thermostat & use water & compressed air in reverse to normal flow to blow the gunk out.

Z

Z()LTAN

U can do that if u have the time and can b botheres removin the thermostat,

How do u think the car cools down in normal use then? u ever seen how much a radiator cools water at 100km/h? what do u think anti freese if for?
So no it wont cause any problems..

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Yes I have done a few tests & found the average temp drop to be between 12 & 14 degrees celsius. Once your car is travelling at around 100 kmh the air has a harder time being pushed through an incorrectly shrouded radiator.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Supposedly its 12 litres, but in the six times I have changed coolant in any of my commodores, I have never had anything close to that.

What i normally do is drop the bottom radiator hose and flush out the radiator, and then I remove the thermostat and put the hose in there and just keep flushing until the water flowing out of the bottom hose is clean. That way any water that is left in the block is clean. I then hook up the bottom hose up to the radiator again, and then fill the radiator up with straight GMH coolant, no dilution. I then top up the thermostat housing to fill up the top of the engine and I normally fit most of the bottle in, and then I just fill up the overflow tank with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. Start her up and wait until it warms up and the thermostat opens, and then open the bleed screw until coolant flows out.

Job done! That way you will come as close to having the 50/50 mix in your car.

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
Thanks heaps for the info guys.

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
No one has mentioned that you should turn the heater fully on when flushing or changing coolant. This is probally where your missing coolant is hiding.

Wardie