Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS/VT GT Gearboxes

B

built4girls

Hey went to my local holden dealer today, found out i have the Get ro* (***SPELLING!!!!???) Gear box in my vs, when i asked him the origin of this particular gearbox he just started spinning alot of crap wondering if anyone can verify!?

He said the the gearbox was used in the V8's (mines a 6) and in early 97 they ran out of the standard vs gearboxes so they reverted to using the GT gear boxes in the late VS' and early VT models. He also said that this particular type of gear box is prone to the syncro shitting itself............

Does anyone have any experiences with this gearbox, so far the only thing i know is that the clutches are FRIGGING expensive!!!

Cheers

Cassie

96ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs ss
not a getrag was it?

J

Joes_meat

I've heard the syncro's in the VS auto's are pretty unreliable.

From what I understand the VT synchro's are a lot better, and you should rebuild a VS trans with VT syncro's?

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Joes_meat said:
I've heard the syncro's in the VS auto's are pretty unreliable.

From what I understand the VT synchro's are a lot better, and you should rebuild a VS trans with VT syncro's?

I think you'll find that built4girls is talking about an manual gearbox, not an auto. :bop: Do auto even have synchro's ? :unsure: 96ss is spot on with it being a Getrag. Series I V6 VS's had Borg Warner gearboxes and the series II V6's and the series III V8's had the Getrag.

B

built4girls

yeah getrag sounds right
yeah im talking about a manual

sorry guys just got the car and being a chick im not completley down with all of this stuff! lol

J

Joes_meat

BT1 VR said:
I think you'll find that built4girls is talking about an manual gearbox, not an auto. :bop: Do auto even have synchro's ? :unsure: 96ss is spot on with it being a Getrag. Series I V6 VS's had Borg Warner gearboxes and the series II V6's and the series III V8's had the Getrag.

Haha, sorry I just read that again. Got confused between two open threads.