Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car wont start (somethin with gearbox)

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
hey there
ill try my best to explain this.

over the past few days every now and again my car wont start. it wont even turn over. the only way i can get it to start is if i move the gear stick out of park an up an down an side to side an back to park. the it starts when i crank it. then today that started to not work an i have to push my gear stick forwards then to the right while crankin the engine for it to crank over.
Would this be happenin because the switch in the gearbox isnt regestering that its in park so it can start, (cas it needs to be in park to start)
if thats whats wrong with it how do i fix it an abou how much should it cost?
if that not whats wrong what could be the problem an how much is it likly to cost me

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yes it is the switch on the park!!! if u dont mind wiggling it to get it going then leave... we did that for a year until we had the trans changed so got it fixed..... couldnt tell ya how much it costs to fix as it was done for nothin.....

im pretty sure that the switch is underneath the plastic housing and can be adjusted.... (dont quote on that one though)

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
is it simple to adjust it?
what do i have to do cas its annoying an i hate Imperfection when it comes to my car

J

Joes_meat

I have the same thing in my VS SII.

I let my old man drive it today and he said he got stuck in the servo. The car wounldn't turn over.

I'd also like to know how to adjust it or replace it.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
just looked through the manual didnt have any info on where the swtich was located....

pretty sure if u take off the plastic housing it should be sitting there... just a matter of aligning it so it makes contact properely....

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The inhibitor switch is non adjustable. You will have to get a new one or a 2nd hand one from wreckers. It is under the plastic cover for the gearshift.

kowan

Clayton's Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.aussiewholesalers.com
Members Ride
91 Clayton's Commodore/Toyota Lexcen
But what if you just cleaned around the "inhibitor switch" that may be all it will take to help it work (swing on the gearshift like your a ape with a attitude)....ok ok I did see the switch on ebay around $5 used. why waste ya time cleaning it, to clean it you will have to remove the console anyway. Just run out and buy a new one then you will know it will work and solve all ya troubles