Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering - Cant Believe this 1 isnt already here...

C

CrazyK

Hey guys n girls.

I am trying to fix my dads VS Calais series 2. It is an ecotec v6 and the power steering has totally disappeared, and worst still, the steering wheel locks up completely when the car is started. When the car is switched off and u wish 2 push it then it turns fine however once u start the engine it locks in2 position and requires 2 hands really pushing to move it, and then it locks again.
I have already replaced the hoses, including the high pressure Hose and have taken the pump out and flushed it with diesel to clean it, but stil no luck. :ranting:
my next move is to replace the pump. however at $160 it seems to be a costly exercise if it is not the true cause. i wonder has anyone else had this problem and how did they go about fixing it? cos i am really stuck at the momnent :b:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Sounds more like a fault in the rack.

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
when you flush it did you pull it apart? cause the same happen to a mates car when he pulled it apart he must have the vanes around the wrong way, when it he changed it back around it work fine.

thats one idea

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Sounds like a rack fault. There may be something wrong with the valve in that oil is being supplied to both sides of the piston or oil cannot escape from on side of the piston. A common problem is where the inner ball joints are taken off the rack and the power steering is then turned to lock. The rack will travel further than intended ie the end will go past the lock stops on the rack housing. When this happens particularly if the engine is running the piston seal can move past the turn port and cause the 'O' ring under the piston to be extruded into the port. This ends up in the valve blocking the turn ports. If the steering is a variatronic gear there are possible problems with the valve and or solenoid. In the latter case the steering will feel heavy if the solenoid is permanently in the high speed mode ie it doesnt work as it is supposed to be energised at low speed.

C

CrazyK

Thanks Don Sutton, will check out the ball Joint, but as for the rack a mechanic told me that if i can turn the wheel when the car is off then the rack is fine... what is he on about?

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
If you can turn the steering wheel with the engine off and you cannot turn it with the engine on it is definately the steering gear. The fact that you can turn it with the engine off means it is OK mechanically. The fact that you cannot turn it with the engine on means it is NBG hydraulically.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
you put diesel in the pump???
best take it to someone who knows what theyre doing
the variotronic rack has a solenoid on it that commonly gets some small bits of teflon seal in it causing this,

Rob

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Doctor Bob said:
you put diesel in the pump???
best take it to someone who knows what theyre doing
the variotronic rack has a solenoid on it that commonly gets some small bits of teflon seal in it causing this,

Rob
Still say its NBG hydraulically the oil can not be displaced whatever the cause of that be it a jammed or non working solenoid or blocked port. Incidently the solenoids were discontinued from production a couple of years ago as the manufacturer Goyen wanted the assembly line for something else and it was considered low volume and therefore not profitable. The steering gear can be converted to a conventional steering by replacing the valve housing and the Pinion, Valve and Sleeve assembly (PV&S).

C

CrazyK

Don, is there any way to fix the hydraulic problem without replacing the rack? Or is it cheaper to just replace it?

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I think it would be quicker and easier to just fit a changeover rack from a reputable repairer such as Australian Power Steering or Reliable - someone who's been around for a while and have test facilities unless you're handy with tools. If you are you could take out the power steering yourself and save some labour. After refitting the changeover unit you will need to get the wheel alignment done. Before you remove the gear set the steering wheel straight ahead and remove the key from the ignition making sure the wheel is locked in this position. Don't put the key back into the ignition until the new steering gear is connected back up. Make sure the new steering gear is on centre before connecting the input universal/coupling to the input shaft. The reason for all this is that the Air bag wires can be broken if the wheel turns through too many turns. When bleeding the gear do not hold the gear at lock as it will froth the oil when it contains air and will take longer to bleed. Make sure the pump does not run out of oil and it is best with the front jacked up so the wheels are off the ground to avoid generating pressure until bled.

By the way I work for the company that makes the power steering for the Commodore.