Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCM causing MAT problems

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yay for TLAs! :)

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, my VR (dual fuel) is running rough just off idle and even stalling, and hunting when it's cold; more noticably on petrol than on LPG.
I've only had the car for a couple of months, so I took it to the mechanic to have it fully checked out, and see if he could figure out what this problem is.

The error code that it was spitting out was 23, Mainfold Air Temp sensor error. The first problem was that for some reason, there was no plug on the MAT sensor, in fact the plug had been cut off the loom. I got the auto electrician to wire a plug back on and the sensor is now hooked up.

Still getting the same error code though. My next thought was that the sensor itself is a bit funky, and needs to be replaced. I thought I'd check the reference voltage first though, which according to the service manual I've got should be 5V, and I found that it is in fact only about 5 mili-volts.

That voltage is meant to be supplied by the PCM, so obviously something is going wrong there.
What I want to know is firstly, has anyone encountered problems like this before?
Can the PCMs be worked on (obviously by a professional) or are they a throw away unit? (I have a feeling they're not cheap to replace either).

Is a faulty MAT sensor likely to be causing the problems I've having? The problem is definately more prevelant when the car is cold, so it makes sense to me that a temp sensor could be playing a part in it. I have feeling it might be running rich though because I noticed a pretty strong petrol smell when I started it up this morning.

This is starting to drive me insane, so if anyone can help it would be awesome!
Cheers, Shayne.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Automotive service solutions do exchange PCMs but I have no idea on price.
Can you borrow one from a known running car to check it is the fault.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If you have checked that there is no wiring fault to the PCM then it is U/s.

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
"U/s"?
Hopefully I'll have more of a chance to investigate the problem over the next few days. I've got access to a working VS and apparently the MAT setup is basically the same, so first thing is to check that the ref. voltage should actually be 5V. Then it's time to look at th PCM. Hopefully the voltage is present at the unit and it's just a busted wire, but we'll see.
I'll post up with progress, but if anyone has any ideas in the mean time please speak up, everything is appreciated!

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Good news is the PCM is fine, in fact the "missing" plug was there after all, it was just on the end of some new wiring, as the original pair seemed to have a dodgy earth.

Bad news is that the thing still idles rough, and wants to stall just off idle when it's cold and on petrol. I'm thinking it's probably time to get the injectors cleaned, and maybe check out the Idle Control setup, maybe it's gunked up too.