Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

smoking

W

walace

hey just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem with there car smoking out exaust when started i own a vr commodore and when i start it it smokes also if it is iding for a while and the thermo kicks in it also smokes a little is it my rings or valve seals? any help would be great....

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
is it blue? if yes prolly valve guide seals

W

walace

yer its blue smoke anyway to fix this problem easy? im putting in a new trans soon would it be easier to do both at the same time?

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
hmm, sounds like you have to replace the valve seals, and/or piston rings. (Might as well get rings done as well if engine is already apart)

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
vr's are notorious for running through piston rings

W

walace

how long would this take and how much i can do it by my self coz i have a car ramp and lift?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
buy a vr car manual to help your self out, but i wouldnt do that type of work myself, but thats my opinion

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
he is gonna need alot more to do rings than a workshop manual...

its one of these jobs do i pay som1 a mint to fix it

do i attemp to fix it myself by buying special tools and parts that will end up costing alot of time and money

or do i do the cheapest option wait till the last minute take all the good parts off the motor and buy a second hand one for a few hundred dollars

you will be best off i can tell you now to just buy a second hand motor with a 3 month warrantee

taking the pistons out is the last job an inexperienced person should be attempting

and if you do buy a second hand motor and you want to learn or do up your motor its out of the car just waiting for you to start throwing money at it. :)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
remeber the new motor woodnt hav new rings in it, they wood most likely die after 3 mths then your up for it again, i reckong pay a mechanic as u no they are new that way :)

and i know your a young guy that loves his car and prolly cant afford a mechanic, but i think its worth letting a machenic do it as he has done it before