Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec: Oil Light coming on!!! Help!!!

Waussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec V6 Clubsport Kit
Hi All,

Just recently picked up a Lexcen (VS Clone) for a good price, now I think I know why.

After starting engine up, the oil goes out but then comes on again only a matter or minutes later. Doesn't matter if I rev it, it stays on. I can tell it is starving for oil as it tends to get a bit of a clatter about. Have parked it up for now. :mad:

Thought about getting another Ecotec V6 until I found out what the rebuild price is on these babies.

I got talking with a few wreckers and mechanics and it seems that the oil pickup in the sump is rather small on these engines and they are prone to blocking up quite easily and this is apparently a common problem.

Has anybody fixed this and have any ideas to pass on before I tackle this job? One suggested unbolting an engine mount, jack engine up and remove sump, clean out pickup and sump.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks....Waussie - WA.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
have you checked your oil?. u will have to do more then undo 1 engine mount to remove the sump

Waussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec V6 Clubsport Kit
POVRTY said:
have you checked your oil?. u will have to do more then undo 1 engine mount to remove the sump

Hi,

Yeah thanks POVTRY, have done all the regular checks :) , oil is full on the dipstick. Had a looksie inside the RHS rocker after taking the oil cap off and it does seem quite sludgy, so will try to clean out as best i can with engine flush, but may need to get into clean pickup as well if it is blocking up.

Cheers...Waussie.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
if the sump has a dent in it , it may be pushed up against the pick up. riper out and re build it bud........ its a good exuese ay?. :driving:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate this is just a suggestion. Now once upon a time when i first got my VR i thought it would be a good idea to clean the engine. So in I got with my degreaser and hose and spray everywhere and it looked great. But water got into my oil pressure sensor and made the oil light come on (on and off at times). The engine ran nice and smooth and there was plenty of oil in it so I knew there wasnt a problem and new that it was just the switch playing up. I cleaned the water out with a blow of compressed air and a bit of wd-40 and it started to work happily again. Now if you do have oil and she is running nicely i would be having a look under the connector of the oil pressure sensor and cleaning it out. Maybe even replace it (I dont think its a difficult job). The previous owner may have been cleaning the same way i did just to make the engine look neat and a bit of moisture has got in there causing the problem.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If its a high mileage engine then flushing the engine will only loosen and circulated the sludge possibly further blocking oilways etc. Removing the sludge this way will also increase oil burning and oil seal leakage. If its worn so bad that she rattles then she is knackered and you need a replacement because a rebuild is worth more than the car. It shouldn't be a dented sump as the VS has an alloy sump which breaks not bends.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Waussie said:
Hi All,

Just recently picked up a Lexcen (VS Clone) for a good price, now I think I know why.

After starting engine up, the oil goes out but then comes on again only a matter or minutes later. Doesn't matter if I rev it, it stays on. I can tell it is starving for oil as it tends to get a bit of a clatter about. Have parked it up for now. :mad:

Thought about getting another Ecotec V6 until I found out what the rebuild price is on these babies.

I got talking with a few wreckers and mechanics and it seems that the oil pickup in the sump is rather small on these engines and they are prone to blocking up quite easily and this is apparently a common problem.

Has anybody fixed this and have any ideas to pass on before I tackle this job? One suggested unbolting an engine mount, jack engine up and remove sump, clean out pickup and sump.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks....Waussie - WA.

Take the oil warning switch out(front of the engine near the oil filter)leave it in kero for 10-20mins. then blow it out put it back in,try it out.9 out of 10 it works,if it doesnt visit your nearest Holden spare parts or Autobarn/speedshop,not that expensive anyway.Good luck.And dont worry you can drive it as long as you got enough oil in the sump,if u do have faulty pick-up top part of the engine will let you know anyway :yeah: .

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
rattles

I'd pull the oil light switch and fit a tee with a gauge so you can actually check the oil pressure. Sounds like she's buggered though. They certainly are expensive to do up, cheaper to get a reconditioned engine. I was quoted $2580 for a short engine and when I spewed they said they'd do a complete engine for the same money.
After stripping mine, I found the oil rings had lost all tension, and big ends/mains were worn out. She's been hot at sometime as most commodores have when they either do a power steer pump, waterpump, tensioner bearing or just break the belt.
Wouldn't suggest buying a wrecked one as it might be exactly the same.
Good luck.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
Be Warned

DO NOT flush the engine in a sludgy contition this will completely block your sump

YOU MUST remove the pickup completely and then completely clean all sludge out of the engine

IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS you will have no engine it will seize withing 10 mins of driving with a blocked pickup ive seen this happen before from people listening to people saying ah just flush it it will be fine.... WRONG the picjup is like a siv and takes sweet FA to block the pickup.

you engine has not been looked after very well has had the wrong oil used and hasnt been changed very often.

best of luck with it

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Would it be worth dumping the old oil and filter, and throwing in some fresh 20w-50 oil and a new oil filter?