Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque converter?

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
I have a little problem...
When I start my car from cold, put the trans into gear and depress the accelerator pedal to begin moving, the engine begins to chug momentarily and the car doesnt move quickly, then a second or so later, it grabs and im off. Im pretty sure its not the engine, as its a low kilometer car, could I be having problems with the torque converter?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The book says you put the gearlever in DRIVE, wait a second or two till you feel it 'grab' and then depress the accelerator.....you may be hitting the pedal before the drive is properly selected.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Ok, now I feel really, really, exceptionally silly. Sorry for wasting everybodys time.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Does it only do this just after you select a gear or does it happen when ever you go to accelerate ?

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Just when I select a gear. It just seems strange, cause it only does it when cold. The engine momentarily drops to a really low RPM like its trying really hard, and it has virtually no movement, then it grabs and I have no problems