Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major Fuse problem

V

vs girl

Hi all, Just new to the site. Had my VS for about 4 months now. Absolutely love it. It's run like a queen. I have this problem with it blowing the Engine fuse and the fuel pump fuse. Engine fuse has gone twice. Fuel pump fuse.. well i have a pile of those buggers!!. Put it into Auto Electrician.. they can't find prob with it. Fuel pump fuse goes when i start the car and when i switch it off. it's gotten worse since i got it back from auto electrician. It takes sometimes between 3 and 6 fuses to get it started. Car is duel fuel. HELP!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
Could be a number of things.....

Where abouts u located??

I can recommend a Auto elec that will find the prob.... in MELB!!!

Hope the auto elec didnt charge u....especially if its predominately worse since you've got it back from them......

V

vs girl

I'm located in Wollongong. He didn't charge too much.. the price went from $132 over the fone to $66 when i picked it up.. The car is duel fuel if that's got anything to do with it.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

yeah could be a number of things, like a short in the wires overloading the fuses causing them to blow, could be ignition if it only happens when you start the car, fuses could be wrong ampage, anything like that.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
im would suggest finding a reputable auto elec in your area....

from the sounds of it (fuse blows when key turned off, fuse blows when key turned on) that u have a problem within the ignition barrell...

This is just my 2cents derived from what you've described....

dont know how they could have returned the car to you with the problem not fixed???

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
and dont use the warehouse fuses lol, use good ones

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
I (my car) blew a fuse today ...

For what its worth .....
I (my car) blew a fuse today. Suddenly the trip computer started doing strange things, panel lights wouldn't work, A/C fans sound like they had asthma, switching the main lights on zeroed or switched off the trip computer and switched on a selection of warning lights- and other really strange things.
I just happened to be in the local Holden Dealer Service centre so I "ïnvited" them to have a look. It turned out to be the 15A fuse to the arial / panel lights / trip computer (found under the dash) had blewn. When it blew, voltage was being routed from other places causing the weird effects.
Why did the fuse blow :confused: - their opinion was that the fuses (fuse holders) had become loose with age and start to touch other stuff (including other fuses) and that is why it blew. :D Could this be your problem?

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Another thought ....

As your running duel fuel pumps - these operate through a 15 amp fuse. If the pumps are operating through the one circuit then they are probably overloading the fuse - Buuuut, if you go to a 30 amp fuse then that may overload other parts of your electrics eg the main fuse which, depending on what you have on at the time may overload and blow. :unsure:
Was the car operating properly (not eating fuses) when you first got it? If so then I would suspect the loose fuses or wiring as mentioned previously.
Another thought .... why 2 fuel pumps? perhaps the previous owner was caught out by a failed fuel pump and installed a second one as a back-up? If that is the case then have the second one switched out until you need it (ie the operational one fails) :yeah:

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Hi, I had a similar problem, change the fuel pump relay under the hood