Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Use LPG to regas Air Con.... VS

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I'm back again....
been offline for ages.

Has anyone heard of or used LPG gas to regas their air con? I heard it has great cooling properties, is cheap etc...
would anyone know the safety hazards if there are any? obviously lpg is flammable but a/c is a sealed system.

F

Frd_thmsn

holden#1 said:
I'm back again....
been offline for ages.

Has anyone heard of or used LPG gas to regas their air con? I heard it has great cooling properties, is cheap etc...
would anyone know the safety hazards if there are any? obviously lpg is flammable but a/c is a sealed system.

I,ve heard of it but it sounds too dangerous, especially say if you have a leak in the evaporator then light up a smoke :coolpimp: :flame: :angel:

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Yes, it was quite common a few years back to rip of clients ie: 80% profit margin instead of 30%. Most clients were unaware. Highly illegal and carries very hefty fines now so is not done as much. The system works well with it.
There is the risk of fire if the system leaks but you would have to have an errant spark, which is quite common as the car's ignition components age,to ignite it.
No insurance cover either if it is found as the cause of fire which can be established quite easily.
Cheap is the only thing going for it really.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Funny thing that eh! Imagine how infammable fuel would be spraying onto the hot exhaust after a prang...hmmmm....in an aircon there is a very small amount of gas whilst in a fuel tank there are tens of litres. I wonder if it actually works or is it an urban legend -----anyone tried it???

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
hako said:
Funny thing that eh! Imagine how infammable fuel would be spraying onto the hot exhaust after a prang...hmmmm....in an aircon there is a very small amount of gas whilst in a fuel tank there are tens of litres. I wonder if it actually works or is it an urban legend -----anyone tried it???

Does work, and well. There is more than enough gas in the A/C to burn you car if it ignited. My Father-inlaws friend used to do it as often as he could until he burnt a customers Laser. Filled it, started it and bang. Nicely melted all under bonnet plastic and produce one of those big paint free circles on the bonnet. He told the customer he had run out of gas and would finish it the next day. Repainted the bonnet and replaced all the burnt bits. He was very happy at getting $80.00 for what cost him $600.
He always checked for leaks first after that, as he should have done, but he was a very shady character.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
point taken!!!!!!! not a good idea!
the biggest worry would be in a crash scenario... broken pipes ... bang!