i have the honor of owning a VR exct but unfortunatly its auto ...i just need help on converting it to manual, my left hand is getting very bored!! Wat are the things i need and where can i get them? how much aprox would it cost?? i herd that the acclaim was never made with a manual so its friggin hard to smack a 5 speed in it, well as my mate told me..
I am in the process right now, of converting my VR Acclaim (series II) from auto to manual.
The things you will need will be:
* A new clutch (best to go with a sports or something heavier duty than standard)
* Manual tailshaft / driveshaft
* Clutch / brake pedal-box
* Manual loom / harness (very hard to find) - there is a post on here somewhere, though I can't find it at present, that does say how to re-wire the standard auto loom / harness to accomodate the manual gearbox.
* Manual ECU
* Clutch cable
* Manual floor plate, console piece, and shifter boot.
* Alot of time, money (varies on who does it / problems encountered), an engine crane (or something else to lift the motor and gearbox out), and a good full set of tools.
My brother has already converted his VR Acclaim (series I) to manual - but, as far as I know, he's still running the auto chip & loom / harness with an adapter.
I paid $750 for my conversion kit - but, there were a few parts missing. Mind you, the gearbox seems to be in mint condition! When you do the conversion, you may want to get the VIN from the vehicle the gearbox comes out of - just incase the RTA decide to be a pain-in-the-rear (as they can be from time to time). You will also need to have the car weighed - as the car will be lighter than before.
If someone could point me to the post about modifying the loom / harness to accomodate the Borg Warner box, it would be greatly appreciated.
Anyways, I hope this helps - even if it's just a little bit!
Have a safe, and great Christmas!!!
Nice thread dig.
im thinking of doing this with my executive any one know how much it would cost to get put in???
PERFORMANCE MODS- JTG Liquid injection, Under driven pulley, Pacemaker extractors, 3" X-force system, Cold air intake, MAF Less tune 267.9 RWKW'S
Sheriff Buford T Justice "Apology accepted now F*#K OFF"