Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whining noise - Fuel Pump?

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
When all is quiet in the cab of my ute I hear a constant very high pitched whining noise behind my head - like a loud mosquito. Totally annoying.

I thought of the fuel pump because the noise doesn't change speed. I mentioned it to my mechanic because I thought I might be able to just get down there and tighten up a loose mount or soemthing, but he tells me that the pump is internal and that won't help...
Interesting to note, though, was his explanation for the reason the pump was making the noise. He claims that the pump has rollers in it which don't like running dry.
If the tank has been run dry a few times the rollers begin to make the whining noise I can hear.

Whatever it is it has to stop.

smickvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S V6 s3 m5 ute VN=WRITE OFF
my ute does the same thing & most utes i have been in do it.
i just turn the cd player up at the moment but if u find out how to fix it let me no it so annoying!

A

anotherstockvs

yer its just noraml operation of the fuel pump, turn the cd player up a bit louder now thats a good one hehe,

werd out soliders ImI<(^_^)>ImI

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
whining fuel pumps are a very common problem if u run the tank almost dry or dry.... had the problem twice.....

couldnt take the constant noise and the stares from ppl anymore so i changed it a third time.....

theres no way to fix the whining u can ony put in a new one in......

learnt my lesson, we never run the tank less than half now.... :dance:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
It aint hard to always treat 1/4 as being empty and not drive on till the low fuel alarm goes off, it should go off anyway ! you won't miss it, similar to the left the handbrake on again siren, damm it.

Having had diesels all my later life one NEVER runs one dry as even after priming the pump, then priming every injector manually stuck usually out in the scrub it may still not start and the diesel will flatten the biggest battery real quick.

As the Crumpledoor has a fuel pump in the tank if it's allowed to run dry you just killed it, or as good as in most cases, at least the Landcruiser will live if your too slack to buy fuel, just keep em full, the cost is the same.

Hint, when most turn on the ignition they just turn the key, bad boys, wait till the fuel light goes out before turning the key to start, when the light goes out your fuel rail is full and is then ready to start the engine with no throttle and no excess drain on the battery, check it out if you have never looked at the dash lights before.

My Crumpledoor starts before one engine revolution hot or cold, but if I simply turn the key to start it will turn over several times before it fires as the fuel is not yet up to pressure in the injector rail, simple stuff.

It's similar to not glowing a diesel properly, if you dont glow em until the solenoid clicks out on older diesels they will not start quickly or at all and the best battery will go flat quickly.

Last edited: