Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

smoking exhaust VR exec

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
my friend has a vr exec station wagon, we noticed the other day after he floors it, alot of smoke comes out of the exhaust, and its like more smoke than a 1960 diesel would produce lol, neways, ne1 know what could be the problem with his car? thanks heaps

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
What colour is the smoke?

If its blue, its oil burning, so stuffed rings or valve stem seals etc

If its black, its carbon, which means the engine is full of carbon, on the valves etc, worth putting a can of top end / upper cylinder cleaner through it whilst revving the car....

Black can also be from the car running rich, but I'm pretty sure that when the throttle is floored, the ECU momentarily richens the mixture for more power, and to protect the engine at high revs.

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
if its black its fuel, check the oxy sensor or even better check the computer for fault codes

Z

Z()LTAN

u sure its coming out of the exhaust pipe? coz i had that prob, with i fllored it black as smoke came out that back, i found out it was actually oil comin out of the back of the rocker cover and atomising on my extractors, it only happened when i floored it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
What you describe is normal for a high mileage motor - put the pedal to the floor and everything is working harder in the engine - more blowby leaking past worn rings and valves meaning that more oil is being burnt whilst that foot is close to the metal.
I reckon your friend has about 3 months life before that motor finally blows....however, if he wants to treat it gentle, and only sometimes push it to the floor, then he may get a year or more before he spends $$$$$.

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
he said the next morning that there was heaps of oil in the engine bay, so im assuming it was then oil burning on the extractors, so whats he gotta do about resolving the problem? thanks

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
were abouts is the oil coming from? thats the first thing to find out

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
the oil is coming from the rocker covers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
most likely a gasket, ill check the forums as i think some body had the same problem..