Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body info required

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
im certain im gonna be getting a vr commodore, and just curious about boring out the throttle body, what is the best diameter for optimal performance on the standard v6? and when u bore out the tb, what do you do with the butterfly? thanks

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i think it would be easier to grab a v8 thorttle body, as it has the butterfly the correct size, and locally around here... you wouldnt find any were to bore your old one out

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
so a v8 throttle body would be fine to have on a v6? or would it be too big to fit onto the manifold?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
how come many people havent done this mod? surely everyone here would want more response out of there cars

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
most people serious about performance get engine work or buy a v8 in the first place :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
michael_pomroy said:
how come many people havent done this mod? surely everyone here would want more response out of there cars

because its widely debated that it isnt actually worth while...some ppl have even said that the stock t/b is too big already.
personally i dont think it would make any difference unless applied at full throttle when the larger diameter t/b would let in marginally more air...but other than that it would be indifferent to a stock t/b.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i put a 70mm throttle body on my vs v6, it has made a huge difference, so much more resposive the car jumps a bit wen u tap it and its feels more powerful, and also better accleration, dont no abount econmy put it on last night :D

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
I have a 70mm on mine, put it on over the weekend, huge power and response increase. But that's most likely because I had a 36mm gas carby on it, which is now gone. I also port and polished the plenum out to 70mm, and modded the bellmouth.