Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air filters, which one ?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Is a redline brand air filter worth the $100 rather than a K&N air filter at $130.

Both are brand new prices, seen new Redline on Ebay for $75 + post.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
You should be able to get it cheaper than that! i paid $50 for mine not including the oil and cleaning fluid.
and there isnt much diff between the two.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Here are the K&N and Redline filters side by side. They are exactly the same, just the K&N is made in the U.S and the Redline is made in Australia.

Attachments

• K&N side.jpg
    K&N side.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 120
  • K&N top.jpg
    K&N top.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Redline side.jpg
    Redline side.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Redline top.jpg
    Redline top.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 125

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
yeh u should be able to get a k&n for $99, im not sure about the redline, but if you get the k&n you get a million mile warranty on it, plus you get the good performance as well. im not saying redline is crappy, just that i dont know much bout that one, id personally go the k&n ne day

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Unfortinately living where I do we get charged tourist prices, for all things, it could be much worse, in Cairns the K&N is $160 without delivery.

I found a Redline for $66, that will have to do.

LOL with 240+ kms on it now I will never get to see any 1 mill guarantee turn over, car and my death will precede both by many years, heh at 50 now with 2 heart attacks behind me, the redline and my own custom version of CAI will do better than OK, perhaps 3X more air flow than the current poly pipe method, watch this site for the pics of it, it's so simple, you will see.

A give away is the home made poly ram type inlet that measures 8.5" X 2.5" (think about it) at the opening end going straight into 80mm poly (not 60mm) then into a very much modded V8 air box, {the V6 air box is really too small for the bigger pipe}.

It will work ! after all I am a qualified mechanical engineer so I may as well use some of the old grey matter, it's not hard once seen.

How do I post a pic here anyway ?

Both say that they have a 25X wash time before they are unserviceable and let through dust, and having had a diesel once that had been well "dusted" it's not much fun and cost thousands for a full engine rebuild, including both diffs, gearbox/transfer case, brakes, steering to name but a few, buying an ex blackwater mine 4WD without knowing it, the vehicle with a nice new coat of jam and new 15" mags made it all seem too good, all to launch the 27' boat I had at the time, buyer beware.

It was a bad nightmare, but thanks B & J car sales, at least they paid for the "complete" engine rebuild as it had received a dodgy roadworthy and they knew it, the 6 lit of oil it used in just 160 kms was a dead giveaway the engine was dusted and RS, see they has messed with the injector pump to make it appear as it was fuel and not oil it that was burning, and I foolishly went for the good looks and being an emergency to get the 7 tonne boat/trailer into and out of the water I bought the POS without looking into it better.

Been there done it all, we learn from our mistakes, I did anyway.

Last edited: