Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temp Question

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
just wondering where the temp is ment to sit on VR commodore??

Thired Line??

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
about half way wile idling at lights etc, thats when the fan is ment to kick in cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
mine sits around half way all the time in the summer, not one bit worried though, worry wen it gets to 3/4 line

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
I had the system cleaned out new thermostat, hoses, heater valve, coolant, and the guy i took it to said it's only ment to sit on the thired line up all the time.
the thermo fan kicks in about 1 line down from half. mine sits there most of the time but somedays gets to half then will drop back down. it's just crazy. isn't it ment to sit in one spot and stay there???
Before this i owned a VL it sat in the one spot all the time.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
inwiththenew said:
I had the system cleaned out new thermostat, hoses, heater valve, coolant, and the guy i took it to said it's only ment to sit on the thired line up all the time.
the thermo fan kicks in about 1 line down from half. mine sits there most of the time but somedays gets to half then will drop back down. it's just crazy. isn't it ment to sit in one spot and stay there???
Before this i owned a VL it sat in the one spot all the time.

maybe it wasnt as accurate.. what you said is normal.
fan kicks in at half way and cools it until it gets to one line down. the more you idle the hotter it gets and rises.. which is an endless loop of the fan cooling it down and it rising.

dont stress ;)

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
thanks i guess i just get worried. i'd rather be safe then having to find $$$$ to get the heads done.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

i have a vs acclaim and my fan doesnt kick in till the 3\4 line and it doesnt take long to get there i heard that you can make the fan come on sooner like the 1\2
way line does anyone know how to do this???? save me starting a new thread

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
There would have to be somethan wrong if the fan is only cutting in around 3/4. if mine ever got to that i would stop in a sec. personally i would have the car checked out.

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
charged6_vsacclaim said:
i have a vs acclaim and my fan doesnt kick in till the 3\4 line and it doesnt take long to get there i heard that you can make the fan come on sooner like the 1\2
way line does anyone know how to do this???? save me starting a new thread

As they have a 2-speed fan, sounds like you low speed isn't working and it's only cutting in at the high speed temperature setting.
Low speed should come on as soon as you turn on the A/C, doesn't matter what temperature the engine's at.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
does anyonr know wha the go is with fixing your fan so it runs on low speed as well?
my VS goes to 3/4 before fan kicks in.... is running fine though and has been running like that for 2 years, have had radiator flushed new thremostat etc, I figure as grigor says - low speed fan setting musn't be working(?)