Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Acclaim brake issue

avon57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim, vx2 acclaim
Hi,

I recently bought a VR Series I Acclaim, and the brakes are giving me some concern. The pedal is firm, but you really have to stand on the brakes to stop the car. This is worse after driving for a while. All the pads seem to have enough meat on them, but the rotors, though smooth, seem dull, rather than shiny....

Is this a glazing problem, and would a light machine and softer pads give me safe brakes? I am not after performance enhancement, just the standard brakes, which I'm sure should be better than this. I had a VN some years back, and the brakes were great...

BTW, the ABS light comes on and goes off at the start as normal, and I have no other ABS lights coming up..

Thanks.....

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If you apply the brakes a few times then start the engine can you feel the vaccuum assist working?

avon57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim, vx2 acclaim
Yes, the booster seems ok; the pedal goes down a bit when the engine starts...

But I did notice that before I started the engine, I could make the pedal firmer by pumping it a few times...bit of air in the system? The pedal does seem pretty firm though..

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
It will get firmer as you pump it because you are using up the vaccuum. I can only suggest that each wheel is checked for brake operation, as a single seized piston will affect brake performance. Also is your fluid in good condition?

avon57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim, vx2 acclaim
Yep, fluid seems fine. and each wheel seems to brake ok. Is there an issue with the discs being smooth grey rather than bright?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Mate take it to a brake place and have it checked out. The rotors could be warped and old, have them either replaced or machined or just uprade to slotted ones.

avon57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim, vx2 acclaim
Yeah...good idea Raging Bull :)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Brake pad material can have a significant effect on brake performance. It is also possible that the existing pads may have been overheated at some stage or not bedded in properly. Worth swapping in new pads. At the very worst you will end up with a spare set of pads for the next time they need to be replaced.

avon57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim, vx2 acclaim
Thanks Cheap6, I might try that first...everything else seems OK...

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Try bleeding'em,sound like u've got an air lock somewhere.