Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Economy not power

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Anybody wishing to put their two cents worth in, appreciate.

Most on this forum seem more power orientated than economy orientated.

Recently moved from a VN wagon to a VX wagon due to the wife's driving. Yes she wrote the treasured VN off, relatively unscathed her self.

In the old, the VN would get 31-32 mile to the gallon. This VS so far has registered 9.8 litres to the 100 km which is not as good.

This is mainly country driving. School run 10 km morning and night on a country road and 30 to 60 km to town and driving a bit around whichever town.

When we got the VN all those years ago it started below 30 mpg as well and improved over a month or two. Presuming it tuned to our driving and situation, naturally hoping this VS does to.

That aside, on studying this forum, it is hard to make up your mind about a CAI for economy alone. We aren't after acceleration. Just mainly driving in the 80 km to 100 km mark. When I look at the VS intake it seems positioned OK with respect of getting air from out side the engine bay apart from the opinions of others on this forum.

On studying this forum, a K and N filter would appear to be worthwhile for fuel
economy.
Is the VT onwards air filter the same as the VS if one appears on e bay would be one question.

When it comes to chips I am lost. As far as fuel economy goes I would presume the stock standard would be as good as you can get.

Appreciate any comments or procedures with respect of tuning or modifications from the ecomomy point of view. It's not just the money. I like getting as far as possible on a litre.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Chips are just going to help suck more fuel, won't help your cause.

Chuck in a holden CAI, it will help with economoy so long as you don't floor it. Try that for a little, K&N may not be needed...

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Why not then. Does anyone knoe if the VT CAI goes on a VS o'k. Know where there is one.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I don't think so mate.

You can grab the parts from holden for about $50 if you are happy to chop the air box yourself.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
a chip WILL increase fuel economy...when driven sedately,but put the foot down though and you'll see the fuel gauge drop.
a hi-flow filter will also help your cause (CAI doesnt make that much difference alone, its more the hi-flow filter people use with them that gives the improvements).
an exhaust upgrade will also help get the most out of your tank...but just like the chip, only if driven sensibly.
also if your not gettin the desired/intended fuel economy out of the vs a good service will help....changing the fuel filter and spark plugs in particular.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Ecco

CAI will help , so will headers , keep the stock exhaust system ...
A high performance airfilter may also be the way to go to get the most from the CAI :yeah:
A 2.5inch Highflow sports system is only going to kill your bottom end , sure top end will improve , but you got to rev it to get there [ huge waste of fuel ] so keep the stock cat back ...

Matt

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
I recently did a couple of long runs from Gold Coast to Newcastle, then onto NE Vic. On both legs my car ('94 Berlina wagon auto) AVERAGED 31mpg (9.1L/100kms).

Running around between Rutherglen (home), Corowa, Wodonga & Beechworth this last fortnight it's showing 13.6 L/100kms, but that's with a fair bit more running around town than usual. Usually shows about 11.7L/100kms.
Don't think the weight difference would affect it much as there's only about 88kg difference between the two cars.

EDIT: BTW, my car is factory stock standard & I use Premium ULP.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I have created this post and it is work in progress:

The ultimate VR/VS fuel usage research page

I intend to plot fuel economy for things like:

Air con off as opposed to on
Premium fuels vs Regular Fuel
K&N filter vs regular filter
CAI vs Stock
Fuel saving devices off ebay

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
For best fuel economy id:
Have my engine serviced regulary - which you should anyway!
Have a reusable type air filter. - and dont forget to clean it!
Have std exhaust or if you must modify, have extractors and a 2.25mm exhaust system
run Premium fuel.
and pump up your tyres to 36psi front and 34psi rear!

Dont forget car manufactors build these cars and spend millions on research for the best fuel consumption for these cars in the first case!

my 2 cents!