Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should it go like?

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Just got a few questions for you guys. Picked up a real nice vs senator about 6 months ago. As far as i'm aware everything is stock standard in it.

The car just doesn't seem to go as well as i would hope. Its got 80,000ks on the clock it fully serviced in mint condition, kn filter (just cleaned and re-oiled) in it, new fuel filter, spark plugs, it a 5L auto, the car has not missed stalled or anything in the time i've had it. I've check the fault codes in the computer, and it says it all fine. mechanically every seems fine. I Always been run on 98ron fuel

I just would of thought it would go better then it does, if you just plant your foot in a straight line it just doesn't seem to do much until about 2800 revs then it starts to go. I would of thought there would be a good chance it would light the tires (the tires aren't that great fedral 595 i think 80% tread)

I'm not chasing a list of upgrades i should do (not at this point in time)

Basically my question is, is this just the way they are as stock, or what should i be looking at if it should go better then it does.

Last edited:
G

Grommitt

mate welcome to the world of 5ltrs..

absolute no balls off the line unless you get yourself a 2500 stally and some 3.9s..

mines got a t350 auto with 5ltr 10.1 comp, shaved heads, crow cam, flattop pistons..

and its really sluggy off the line unless i stall it up ive only got the stock convertor in there so itll only goto like 1750ish till i loose traction..

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
So i guess its time to start modifing it then.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Just service your transmission and put in a 2500 stally, corvette parts etc etc. I dont have much experience in modding transmissions so i will leave it upto others to recommend what to do.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
wWhat would a 2500 stally do to the driveability for 95% of the time i'm drive like i should.

eg. at the moment you take your foot of the brake and you start moving forwards. will it be a case that if your on a steep hill in the wet you got to juggle between rolling back into the car behind you or spinning the tires and sliding into them.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Maybe you could disconnect the battery and reset the ECU, to better suit your driving habbits . I think the procedure is reconnect the the battery after 15mins, rev it to 3000rpm for 30secs. Then go for a 50km drive and give it a bit every once and while. It's also good to put the car under different loads, such as driving up hills.

V

VSAccCom

read somewhere that if u chip it most of the delay goes away, dunno maybe its worth a try, they only about 150 bucks from dr bob.

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
97 SEN said:
Just got a few questions for you guys. Picked up a real nice vs senator about 6 months ago. As far as i'm aware everything is stock standard in it.

The car just doesn't seem to go as well as i would hope. Its got 80,000ks on the clock it fully serviced in mint condition, kn filter (just cleaned and re-oiled) in it, new fuel filter, spark plugs, it a 5L auto, the car has not missed stalled or anything in the time i've had it. I've check the fault codes in the computer, and it says it all fine. mechanically every seems fine. I Always been run on 98ron fuel

I just would of thought it would go better then it does, if you just plant your foot in a straight line it just doesn't seem to do much until about 2800 revs then it starts to go. I would of thought there would be a good chance it would light the tires (the tires aren't that great fedral 595 i think 80% tread)

I'm not chasing a list of upgrades i should do (not at this point in time)

Basically my question is, is this just the way they are as stock, or what should i be looking at if it should go better then it does.

Hey mate Ive got the exact same car as you and mines got 145000 kms on it. I dont know if its the transmission, Ive got a manual, but mine seems to go alright. It also does wheelspins quite easily without me having to dump the clutch. I have a worn clutch thats why I dont want to take off hard. My tyres are about 80-85% Dunlop SP 3000A or something like that. Also my car rarely sees above 3000 rpm (Im a very placid driver, unless Im in a happy mood anyway :rofl: ) I only use 95 ron by the way since 98 is a bit too much.

Was the car serviced regularly before you bought it?

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
BT1 VR said:
Maybe you could disconnect the battery and reset the ECU, to better suit your driving habbits . I think the procedure is reconnect the the battery after 15mins, rev it to 3000rpm for 30secs. Then go for a 50km drive and give it a bit every once and while. It's also good to put the car under different loads, such as driving up hills.

Does this actually work?

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
angelo.vs said:
Was the car serviced regularly before you bought it?

Yeah i have all the log books and records always service and all the reciepts.

Mobil 1 synthetic from new.